Protection of Minors: Policy and Forms
boston college policy, forms and links
Boston College's policy on the Protection of Minors is designed to provide a safe environment for minors when on the Boston College campus, or while participating in University-sponsored activities off campus. This Policy is intended to apply to University-sponsored activities involving minors, and programs for minors sponsored by non-University organizations that operate in University facilities.
Program Administrators must:
1. Complete a Program Registration Form for each program involving minors and send it to the Program’s cognizant Dean or Vice President for approval
2. Identify each “Authorized Adult” who will be supervising minors as part of the School’s or Department’s Program and ask him/her to:
a. Complete a personal information disclosure form and online training program
b. Complete and sign the Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgment and CSI Release and Authorization Form
authorizing Boston College to conduct a criminal record background
check and releasing CSI (Creative Services, Inc.*) to perform
the check. Click here for background check details.
c. Complete and sign the Fair Credit Reporting Act Disclosure and Acknowledgement
d. Provide a copy of a Picture ID (typically a valid driver’s license)
3. Send all the above completed documents (the approved Program Registration Form and all documents for all authorized adults) directly to their Employment Office contact person (see Employment Office Contact list.)
4. Collect from parents/legal guardians and maintain the Medication and Emergency Treatment Authorization Form for all minors participating in the program prior to participation.
Authorized Adults must:
1. Complete these forms and submit them to the Program Administrator:
a. Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) Acknowledgment and CSI Release and Authorization Form
authorizing Boston College to perform a criminal record background
check and releasing CSI (Creative Services, Inc.*) to perform the check. Please see background check details.
2. Submit a copy of a picture ID (typically a valid driver’s license) to the Program Administrator
3. Complete an online personal information disclosure form and an online training program which should take less than one hour to complete. Complete the personal information disclosure form and connect to the Virtus website to access the online training. You will be asked to create a userid and password (do NOT use your Boston College userid or password), and to answer a few other questions about your role at Boston College. Follow the instructions and then log in with your userid and password (upper left corner of the screen) to view the training on the Virtus website.
No person may serve as an Authorized Adult until he or she has completed the online self-disclosure form and the online training program and HR has received the results of the background check. Please review background check details.
The Employment Officer must:
1. Review the Program Registration Form
2. Contact CSI to conduct the background check (which usually takes five to seven business days to complete) and obtain the results
3. Receive certification for each authorized adult that has completed the personal information disclosure form and the online training program
4. Inform the Program Administrator which Authorized Adults have completed the personal information disclosure form and the online training and cleared the background check.
5. Maintain a secure file in HR for each Program containing the Program Registration Form and the documents listed above for each Authorized Adult.
Parents/legal guardians of participating minors must:
1. Complete and sign a Medication and Emergency Treatment Authorization Form prior to the minor’s participation in a youth program.
2. Submit the form to the Program Administrator.
Non-University Sponsored Programs
Non-University organizations sponsoring Programs that use University facilities shall be required to execute and deliver a Facilities License and Indemnification Agreement prior to authorization by a responsible Vice President or Dean to make use of Boston College facilities.
*Boston College uses Creative Services, Inc. (CSI) to conduct these CORI background checks. CSI is located in Mansfield, Massachusetts and is a firm that specializes in conducting background searches and does so for a wide variety of clients.