Way of Justice and Peace
Cosponsored by Little Rock Scripture Study and Boston College Crossroads
featuring video with Eleanor Henley, Judy Hoelzeman, and Catherine Upchurch
This six-week course incorporates all the components of Little Rock Scripture Study in an online setting, including opportunities for communal prayer, daily reflection on Scripture, and facilitated conversation with others. Referring to thematic selections from both the Old and New Testaments, participants will reflect on God's call to holiness and our response, the requirements of discipleship, and the lasting rewards of following the way of justice and peace. This course is a good foundation for anyone growing in public discipleship.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
- A separate space for sharing prayer during the course;
- Weekly introductions to each new topic;
- Six videos on the course theme;
- Text transcripts of the videos;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- A page of further Resources about topics discussed in this course;
- A Study Guide to provide direction for daily Scripture reading.
All Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/ 7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Opening: An Introduction
Lesson 1: The Call from God
Lesson 2: Responding to the Call
Lesson 3: Rejecting What Is Not God
Lesson 4: Embracing What is God
Lesson 5: Claiming the Rewards
Additional Materials Needed:
Course text by Patricia McCarthy, C.N.D., The Word of God – The Word of Peace. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2001 (ISBN: 0-8146-2789-7).
The Way of Justice and Peace Study Guide – for journaling and daily reflection
These two items may be purchased as a set from Little Rock Scripture Study.
Content Scholars: Catherine Upchurch and Sr. Patricia McCarthy, C.N.D.