Teaching Religion to Adolescents: Creative Strategies and Best Practices
featuring videos with master religious educators - Jared Dees, Max Engle, Thomas Groome, Patrick Manning, Theresa O'Keefe, Susan Reynolds
This course equips catechists and religion teachers with the resources and strategies needed to teach adolescents about the Catholic faith with inspiration and confidence. Drawing upon experts in theology, developmental psychology, and religious education, the course addresses pressing questions: Who are my students? What should I teach? and How do I teach it effectively?
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
Week 1: Who Are My Students?
Week 2: What Should I Teach?
Week 3: How Should I Teach? - Part 1. Adolescent Appropriate Strategies
Week 4: How Should I Teach? - Part 2. Holisitic Student Formation
This course includes:
- Videos with master religious educators;
- Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Weekly study guide with questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study.
All STM Online: Crossroads Courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course has ended.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed:
All materials provided in the course.
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both preparation and interaction online.
Jared Dees, M.Ed., M.A., (videos) is an author and the creator of the website The Religion Teacher, which provides practical resources and effective teaching strategies to religious educators; Dr. Max Engel (videos) is assistant professor of education at Creighton University; Dr. Thomas Groome (videos) is professor of theology and religious education at Boston College’s School of Theology and Education and director of The Church in the 21st Century Center; Dr. Patrick Manning (articles and videos) is assistant professor of pastoral theology at the Immaculate Conception Seminary and School of Theology at Seton Hall University; Dr. Theresa O’Keefe (videos) is associate professor of the practice of youth and young adult faith at Boston College’s School of Theology and Ministry; and Susan B. Reynolds (videos) is a Ph.D. student in Theology and Education at Boston College’s School of Theology and Ministry.