Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled
Explore the Scriptures of Advent and Christmas for a richer celebration of these seasons. In this course you will have the opportunity to break open the Church’s weekday readings for Advent, with emphasis on the dynamic of promise and fulfillment between the Old and New Testament readings as they are organized in the Lectionary. Then, take a closer look at the infancy narratives, and the distinctive approaches taken by the Evangelists. In addition, there will be recommendations for personal prayer practices in preparation for Christmas. No prior experience in Scripture study is necessary.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
Featuring videos with the late Rev. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J.
Week 1: Jesus Foretold and Fulfilled in the Readings of Advent
Week 2: Jesus Fulfilled in the Infancy Narratives
This course includes:
- An introduction and study guide for each week;
- Two streaming video presentations by Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., given previously at Boston College;
- Text transcripts of video presentations in downloadable pdf format;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion; and
- A regularly updated Resources page for further study.
All Crossroads courses include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- The course site is usually available to participants at least three months after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
- A Certificate of Active Participation is awarded to those who post at least three messages of substance for each week of content.
Additional Materials Needed
Although there is a Bible available online, you may wish to have a Bible available in hard copy also.
For online Bibles, we recommend:
- The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops - New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE) or
- The Christian Classics Ethereal Library Study Bible - New Revised Standard Edition (NRSV)
All other readings are downloadable from the course site or available via links to other Internet sites.
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4 hours each week. This commitment includes time to view the videos, complete assigned reading, and interact in the online discussion forum.
The late Fr. Daniel J. Harrington, S.J., professor of New Testament, Boston College School of Theology and Ministry, prolific author, and editor, New Testament Abstracts.