lynch school of education
A degree in Secondary Education from Boston College is distinct. It combines innovative theoretical approaches with firsthand experience working with real high school students.
Here you’ll learn how to think critically about education, how to teach various disciplines, and how to connect those disciplines to facilitate learning—all while applying your knowledge in local schools and enhancing your experience with elective courses.
You’ll round out your degree with a second major in English, history, mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, earth/environmental science, Spanish, Latin, or French—preparing you to teach in these subject areas. To focus your degree further, you can add a concentration in Special Education.
When you graduate, you’ll be prepared to teach children in grades 8–12 in a variety of classrooms covering an array of subjects.
Comprehensive coursework, practical settings
Our Secondary Education program features coursework that covers leading theories and strategies in child development, learning, and instruction.
In the classroom, you’ll focus on:
- Child, adolescent, and young adult development
- Theory and instruction in curriculum that educates diverse populations and meets the special needs of all children
- Methods of teaching a range of subjects to a range of students from various settings
- Classroom assessment
Outside of the classroom, you and your cohort will spend your first pre-practicum at a nearby Boston public high school, where you will:
- Learn the latest curriculum and instruction methods from Boston College faculty and veteran high school teachers
- Participate in inquiry-based practice and receive feedback from onsite supervisors
- Take part in student, faculty, and guest speaker panels
Graduate fit for licensure
With our comprehensive curriculum, our students receive endorsements for initial licensure before graduation. Students also graduate with Sheltered English Immersion endorsements to apply for their initial licensure and can earn English Language Learner certificates.
- See what it takes to graduate from our secondary education program.
- Check the state requirements for certification.
- Get a head start on graduate study with our Fifth Year and Early Admit Programs.
- Thinking about teaching middle school? Contact the Office of Professional Practicum Experience for more information on middle school licensure and a minor in Middle School Mathematics Teaching.
- See more of the world while learning with study abroad opportunities.