Preparing for Study Abroad
Now that you have confirmed that you will be studying abroad, follow these steps:
1) Fill out on-line survey before you can get approval from the Associate Dean's office.
2) Follow procedures for your desired program. You need to apply to your program through OIP and be aware of different deadlines.
3) Drop off the "Study Abroad Approval Form" to Fulton 315 for the Associate Dean to sign. The signed form can be picked up 24-48 hours later. This is a preliminary approval to apply for study abroad. (Do not leave this approval until the last minute!)
4) You must get courses approved before you leave for study abroad. You can identify likely courses by consulting the Office of International Programs, the website of the institution where you will study, and by talking with students who have previously studied abroad. Getting approval will require you to bring a course syllabus to the home department at Boston College and have it approved on a Study Abroad Course Substitution Form. These forms can be found in Student Services and in Fulton 315.
5) Student Services will not accept Course Substitution Forms after March 1 following a fall semester abroad, or after October 1 following a spring semester of full year abroad.
Tips for course approvals:
- The only two Carroll School core classes that may possibly be approved are Organizational Behavior and Operations Management. It is not a guarantee, but a possibility.
- You can only obtain concentration elective approval from the department after completing the core classes (e.g. Basic Finance or Marketing Principles.)
- The following is a statement from the Office of the Associate Dean for the Core about what requirements a course must have in order to be approved as a Cultural Diversity course. “The Cultural Diversity requirement can be fulfilled by a) a course on Asian, African, Middle Eastern or Latin American cultures, b) a course on minority cultures of the United States derived from these cultures, c) a course on Native American cultures, or d) a course that address the concept of culture from a theoretical and comparative perspective either separately or in the context of the courses listed in (a), (b) and (c).” To obtain approval for Cultural Diversity, students should visit www.bc.edu/core/for-students and click on the “Cultural Diversity Substitution Request Form” on the left. Students can submit their request for approval using that form.
- Course approval contacts:
- Accounting: Prof. Ed Taylor in Fulton 224; email@example.com
- Business Analytics: Prof. Stephanie Jernigan in Fulton 350; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entrepreneurship: Shea Center in Cushing 336; email@example.com
- Finance: Prof. Elliott Smith in Fulton 437; firstname.lastname@example.org Note: Finance electives must be approved prior to leaving for abroad. Please visit the Finance Department's website for info.
- Information Systems: Prof. Rob Fichman in Fulton 410 ; email@example.com
- Management and Organization: Prof. Judy Gordon in Fulton 430; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marketing: Prof. Bradford Hudson in Fulton 445; email@example.com
- Operations Management: Prof. Sam Graves in Fulton 354B; firstname.lastname@example.org