Boston College has helped a number of students get from “idea to launch” of their business. Since 2010, BC has had over $100 million in funding from startups launched by recent grads, students who have gone on to elite accelerator programs including Y-combinator, TechStars, MassChallenge, and Summer@Highland, and who have gained significant customer traction.
- Three teams of founded-at BC firms made Forbes "30 under 30" List in 2015.
- NBD Nano: Deckard Sorensen '12, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences
- Jebbit: Tom Coburn '13, Morrissey College of Arts & Sciences, and Jonathan Lacoste, Harvard University
- Drizly: Nick Rellas '13, Carroll School of Management, and Justin Robinson '11, Carroll School of Management
- Companies that competed in venture competitions during their time at BC:
- WePay – Processing billions in payments for some of the largest marketplaces in industry, including public companies Care.com and Constant Contact. CEO/co-founder, Bill Clerico, co-founded the Boston College Venture Competition and was in first undergrad TechTrek class and the first former student to return as host CEO. One of Inc.com's "8 Emerging Fintech Startups to Watch in 2015." Silicon Valley Business Journal's 5th-fastest growing private company. WePay has raised $75M.
- LocalOn – Won the venture competition in 2010 as PIQC (pronounced pixie). LocalOn provides tools to manage a business’s online presence from a single dashboard. This group was also a Y Combinator alumni and has raised over $750,000.
- Jebbit – Won the venture competition in 2011. Jebbit is a performance-based advertising platform and counts Microsoft, Samsung, and Spotify among its many clients. The group attended Summer@Highland and elite TechStars Boston accelerator. Won the 2015 Ventana Research Leadership Award for Cloud Computing. 2015 Finalist in the Direct Marketing Association's "HOT ZONE" compeition. To date, Jebbit has raised $3.3M.
- NBD Nano – Won the venture competition in 2012. This is a materials science technology firm for anti-fog, anti-wetting, or condensation enhancing use. Awarded a MassCEC grant by the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center's InnovateMass and Catalyst programs. Awarded grant for their National Science Foundation Small Business Innovation Research Phase II proposal. The company has now raised: $7.4M.
- Streak Media – Was a venture competition runner up in 2013. Collegiate marketing and newsletter firm was acquired by brand marketing firm, Fluent in 2015.
- Overshores Brewing – Venture competition runner up in 2011. Now with an operating brewery in Connecticut.
- 1950 Collective -- 3rd place in venture competition in 2015. 1950 Collective is an original pop-culture apparel brand. They have generated $200,000 in revenue, operating out of Boston College.
- You do not have to win a competition to be successful!
- Wymsee – A production software and technology firm serving the entertainment industry. The company counts every major production studio as a client and has served over 1,000 productions including major motion picture and critically acclaimed television programs. Graduate of Fall 2012 Techstars Boston. The company has raised $5.4M.
- Drizly – Alcohol delivery platform currently operating in over 15 markets coast to coast. Started in Ignacio Hall by BC undergrads. Winner of BostInno's 2015 "50 on Fire" Boston Dining and Retail. The company has raised $17.8M.
- GoSkip – Started by LocalOn co-founder and venture competition winner, David Tolioupov. GoSkip is now in Microsoft Accelerator program. GoSkip has raised over $1M.
- PrettyInstant – Provides on-demand event photography. Co-founded by Chase McAlesse, a Jebbit co-founder. Now in Y-Combinator with over $125K raised.