France—Country Workforce Profile
compiled by Shanyuan Foo & Ariane Ollier-Malaterre
December 2009—Freedom, equality and fraternity are core values that translate into France’s welfare state, citizens’ expectations towards public provisions, a redistributive tax system, an inclusive healthcare system and a high-quality education system (subsidized daycare, and free public school starting at the age of 3).
- 63.9% of the French population is a part of the labor force.
- 13.42% of the labor force works part time.
- In 2008, the average workweek in France was 38.4 hours (the European Union average number of hours worked is 39.9 hours per week).
- 13.9 % of the male population and 18.7% of the female population is 65 years of age and older.
- In 2009, life expectancy in France is 80.9 years: 77.8 for men and 84.3 for women.