Dear parents and families,
Happy New Year! I hope your winter holiday was filled with joyful family time and that your student is looking forward to the new semester.
The Division of Student Affairs kicked off the semester with its very popular Student Open House. All departments within the Division set up tables on the fourth floor of Maloney Hall and offered giveaways, helpful resources, and, of course, plenty of food! Hundreds of students stopped by.
This edition of Parent Update leads with a comprehensive feature on student wellness, and highlights the range of programs and services available to support students as they discover and nurture their best selves. As a Jesuit, Catholic institution, Boston College is committed to the principle of cura personalis—care of the whole person.
The University’s commitment to the Jesuit ideal of cura personalis—care for the whole person’s body, mind, and spirit—supports a rich array of programs and services designed to enhance your student’s mental, social, physical, spiritual, and academic well-being during his or her years at Boston College. Learn more about some of these offerings. »
New Carroll School minors allow students to take courses or pursue a minor in a school in which they’re not enrolled, exemplifying BC’s efforts to integrate liberal arts into professional preparation.
Summer at Boston College offers a full slate of classroom, online, hybrid, and study away programs for undergraduates; registration opens February 14.
Isabelle Stone ’18, whose BC experience inspired her interest in the social justice and public policy dimensions of economics, was selected for a Rhodes Scholarship. She is the third BC student to receive the coveted post-baccalaureate award.
- It’s not too early to book your hotel » Commencement takes place May 20, 2019. Remember, Greater Boston is home to numerous colleges and universities, many of which have graduation exercises scheduled at approximately the same time. It’s best to book early.
- Invitations » In late March, graduating students can access personalized electronic invitations to send to family and friends. Personalized printed announcements or invitations can be ordered through the Boston College Bookstore by calling 800–433–0296 or visiting cbgrad.balfour.com.
- Accommodating individuals with disabilities and limited mobility » If you or a family member will need assistance navigating campus during Commencement weekend, resources are available to make your time on campus comfortable and enjoyable.
Coming up at the Career Center:
- Nursing Career and Internship Fair: February 26
- The Eagle Intern Fellowship Program provides financial support to BC undergraduates who obtain unpaid internships. The application for summer internship stipends is now available.
Early deadline: Monday, March 11; regular deadline: Tuesday, April 16
- Diversity Networking Night: March 19
Important deadlines from the Office of Residential Life:
- Returning student housing application: The online application will be open from Monday, January 28–Friday, February 8.
- Returning student room selection: Open Tuesday, March 12–Monday, March 25
A complete list of deadlines and reminders can be found here.
Spring break: March 4–9
Undergraduate student advising for the fall 2019 semester begins: March 14
Summer session: Registration opens February 14.
- Term 1: May 14–June 21
- Term 2: June 24–August 2
Summer housing application open on the Agora portal on April 1.
Fall semester course registration begins on April 5.
Last day to officially withdraw from a course or from the University: April 16
Easter break: April 18–22
Study days: May 7–14
Commencement: May 20
BC Dining ranks among the nation's best according to The Daily Meal's “75 Best Colleges for Food in America.” Read more »
There's activity on campus after the sun goes down. Glimpse scenes from a campus that almost never sleeps. View photos »
IThe online Parent Resource page provides news, event listings, and information of interest to parents and families. Bookmark it »