Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Summer Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Information

Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.


Students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) for this Summer are eligible to work off campus through this program. Such students will be employees of Boston College and be paid directly by this University, based on submitted and reviewed Boston College time sheets. However, it is not a cost-free program for the off-campus agency. Read the following information carefully, and contact the Office of Student Services at 617-552-3300 if you have any questions.

The Summer employment period begins Sunday, May 20, 2018, and ends Saturday, August 25, 2018. You may not begin working through this program prior to May 20. Students may work more than 30 hours per week (to a maximum of 40 hours) for Boston College during this summer period, but please note that a student may not work more than 12 weeks of the 14 week summer employment period if the student averages 30 or more hours per week. The Office of Student Services, as well as Human Resources, will be monitoring hours being worked for compliance with this new University policy.

You are paid for hours worked. You are not paid for lunch breaks, holidays, or any emergency closing.

All new employees, including students, must complete a Direct Deposit Enrollment Form as well as Federal and State income tax withholding forms. These forms are available at the Human Resources Service Center’s (HRSC) website,, as well as at You can bring them to the HRSC at 129 Lake Street on the Brighton campus, or you can complete those forms online by logging into and selcting the "My Services” page when you have access after your hire form has been processed by the HRSC. (Refer to “News & Notes” on the Student Employment main page for additional information.) Also, new student employees will need to complete Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility and Verification). This form is available at the aforementioned websites. The student completes Section 1 of the I-9 and brings that form along with original documentation (refer to the HRSC’s website) to the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall. This form is not available through

In addition, all new student employees will be required to read, complete and sign the form "Student Hours at Boston College" pertaining to the number of hours students may work for Boston College at different times of the year. This form will be given to the student and needs to be done at the time when the Form I-9 process is being handled. Boston College undergraduate and graduate students (except new graduate student hires being paid a monthly stipend) will complete and sign the Student Hours form at the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall.

The listings on our website, available beginning the week of April 23, are from agencies that have contracted with our office for this Summer. Review those public interest and community service listings, contact any employers directly to schedule interviews, and bring your paper Hire/Rehire Form with you to the interview. Hire/Rehire Forms are available at the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall and on

NOTE: If there is a non-profit community service or public interest (non-profit or government) agency that you would like to work at during the Summer which isn't listed on our website, contact this office for specific details and to request a contract package to be mailed to that agency. The job title and hourly wage must agree with our "Student Job Classifications and Wage Structure" (a copy of which is included in that contract package), since you are considered an employee of Boston College. This is not a cost-free program for that agency; it will be required to pay a percentage of your FWS earnings as indicated in the contract, with payment sent directly to Boston College. The agency must contract, thereby agreeing to participate in this program, otherwise your employment is not sanctioned through this program and any wages owed are a matter between you and that agency. Contracts must be completed and signed by that agency, then returned to our office for review and approval, before you may begin working.

A Boston College Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Hire/Rehire Form, which is available on our website, is required. Both you and your supervisor must complete that form; you complete the Student Information section, and your supervisor completes the Agency Information section as well as signs and dates the form. Be certain that both these sections are completed in their entirety and that there is an authorized supervisor's signature on the form. Otherwise, the form cannot be approved and processed, and it will be returned to the agency, resulting in delays.

The completed and signed Hire/Rehire Form is to be sent or delivered to our office for review and approval before the student may begin to work there through this program. That form may be delivered or mailed; it may not be faxed. Our mailing address is:

Boston College
Office of Student Services
Lyons Hall
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

When your Hire/Rehire Form has been reviewed and approved by our office (Note: The form will not be reviewed unless the agency has first contracted with us for the Summer period), a confirmation letter will be sent to the agency, and you will also be sent a copy of that confirmation letter.

You must complete and sign your Boston College Off-Campus Agency Student Time Sheet, obtain your supervisor's signature on the time sheet, and submit it weekly. The time sheets must be received in good order at the Office of Student Services by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday of that current work week in order for you to receive a payment on Friday of the following week. When a holiday occurs, your time sheet will be due earlier the week before the holiday. Carefully read the time sheet instructions that you will be sent; they will be included as part of the aforementioned confirmation letter. Time sheets may not be faxed to our office.

Our office will not be responsible for any delays by the U.S. Postal Service.

Direct Deposit is the preferred method of payment for all University employees, including student employees. A Direct Deposit Enrollment Form is available at and, and this form also can be completed after your Hire Form has been processed by the HRSC and you have access to that site through (Refer to “News & Notes” on the Student Employment main page for additional information.) Contact the HRSC at 617-552-4772 if you have any questions. It is your responsibility to keep an accurate record of your Summer Federal Work-Study earnings, since you have a maximum Summer Federal Work-Study amount that you may earn (your e-Award Letter references the maximum dollar amount). It is also your responsibility to monitor the number of hours per week you are working, and that if you are averaging 30 or more hours per week then you may not exceed working 12 weeks this summer for Boston College.

Accepting a position involves a commitment, and you have definite responsibilities to your employer. Besides performing your duties to the best of your ability, you are expected to be dependable and considerate, and you must notify your employer as early as possible if you are going to be absent, arrive late, or need to leave early, since it may be necessary to assign your duties to another employee. Also, you must act in a professional manner concerning confidentiality of University, employer, or student records. A breach of confidentiality is cause for dismissal from any employment program.

A student's employment may be terminated by his or her employer if that student's work is unsatisfactory or if the student fails to comply with required policies and procedures. Furthermore, students with poor work records or fail to comply with the University’s student hours policy may forfeit their eligibility to participate in any current and future student employment programs with Boston College. Keep in mind that future employers may want to contact the University for employment-related references after you graduate.

Do not hesitate to contact the Office of Student Services if you have any questions about Summer student employment. If you have any questions concerning tax withholding or direct deposit, contact the HRSC at 617-552-4772.

Best wishes for an enjoyable Summer!