Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

General Information for Campus Employers

Welcome to Boston College student employment! The following general information pertains to the employment of BC Undergraduate, Graduate, and Law students, as well as to non-BC students, hired to work for Boston College and paid an hourly wage or on a weekly pay cycle.

There are two student employment periods during the year: Summer and academic year. Our Summer employment period begins Sunday, May 20, 2018, and ends Saturday, August 25, 2018. The academic year employment period begins Sunday, August 26, 2018, and ends Saturday, May 18, 2019. During this summer, students may work 30 or more hours per week (to a maximum of 40 hours per week) but may not work more than 12 weeks of the summer employment period working these hours as a student employee of Boston College. Students may only work more than 12 weeks of our 14 week summer employment period if they average no more than 29 hours per week throughout the summer even if working more than one job for Boston College. During the academic year, students may work up to 20 hours per week, and up to 29 hours per week between semesters and during Spring Break; and these hours-per-week limits apply even if the student is working more than one job for Boston College during the academic year. Human Resources will be monitoring hours being worked, and it is expected that employers as well as their student employees will do the same to ensure compliance with this University policy that went into effect in January 2015.

International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are limited to working on campus for a total of no more than 20 hours a week while school is in session, as cited in immigration regulations; and, this includes all on-campus jobs, whether hourly paid or stipend paid. In addition, international students are only permitted to work full time up to 40 hours per week for a maximum of 12 weeks on campus during vacation periods over the Summer (if the student is not taking classes). Weeks that include a one-day holiday such as Columbus Day or Good Friday are not considered to be vacation periods. International students may work up to 29 hours per week between semesters and during Spring Break. 

Hourly paid student employees are paid for actual hours worked. They are not paid for lunch breaks, sick days (during the academic year), holidays, or as a result of any emergency closing or early dismissal. Student employees who work six consecutive hours that day/shift are entitled to a 30 minute unpaid meal break. According to Massachusetts law, an employee may waive the right to a half-hour meal break per six hours of work, but in such cases an employer should document day-by-day with the employee’s signature, or on an open-ended basis for which the employee signs once when the employee chooses to waive the right to the half-hour meal break. It is up to the department whether to allow the employee to work through the meal break; and, if permitted, the employee has to be paid for the time worked.

In addition to one unpaid meal break, non–exempt employees, including student employees, are entitled to a 15 minutes break or rest period after each half-day worked. Such breaks are paid. The break should be scheduled by the student’s supervisor and it should not be added to the beginning or ending of that work day.

Boston College utilizes an enhanced student employment system for campus employers hiring BC students in hourly paid positions. This system provides web-based student job request and hiring functions, and as part of PeopleSoft's Human Resources Management application, it interfaces with PeopleSoft HR/Payroll, Kronos time collection, and PeopleSoft Financials.

Direct Deposit with any bank/credit union is the method used by Boston College to pay employees, including student employees. Please be certain that if you are hiring a student who will be a new University employee, he or she completes a Direct Deposit form, along with W-4 and M-4 income tax withholding forms, and brings them to the HRSC at 129 Lake Street on the Brighton campus. These forms are available on the HRSC web site at  They also can complete those forms by logging into and selecting the “My Services” page when they have access after their hire forms have been processed by the University’s HRSC.  (Refer to “News & Notes” on the Student Employment main page for additional information). International students, however, still will need to go to the HRSC at 129 Lake Street, Room 100, on the Brighton campus with their passport, visa, and social security number or receipt, and assistance in completing paper tax withholding forms is available at the HRSC. Permanent resident students will only need to bring their Permanent Resident card to the HRSC.  It is suggested that students call ahead to the HRSC at 617-552-6409 to confirm the availability of the foreign tax specialist.

Any new University hire must complete the Employment Eligibility and Verification "I-9" Process. BC students will need to print a Form I-9 from the HRSC web site, complete Section 1 and bring that form along with original documentation (refer to the web site) to Student Services in Lyons Hall once that student has been hired. These forms also can be accessed from the Student Services web site. You will not be able to process the new hire of a BC student in PeopleSoft until the "I-9" process has been completed and the system updated accordingly.

In addition, all new student employees will be required to read, complete, and sign the form "Student Hours at Boston College" pertaining to the number of hours students may work for Boston College at different times of the year. This form will be given to the student and needs to be done at the time when the Form I-9 process is being handled. Boston College undergraduate and graduate students (except new graduate student hires being paid a monthly stipend) will complete and sign the Student Hours form at the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall. New graduate student hires being paid a monthly stipend, as well as Non-BC students being paid weekly, will complete the Student Hours form when completing the Form I-9 process at the Human Resources Service Center at 129 Lake Street on the Brighton campus.

Please remember that your department or office controls the posting of your student job listings on the Student Employment web site, and that the employer also controls the posting period in that job request screen in PeopleSoft.

Non-BC individuals, including recent graduates of Boston College, may not be hired by way of the online PeopleSoft process. A Hire Form, which is available on the HRSC web site, is used for hiring these individuals. Also, if they are being hired for the first time as University employees, these non-BC students will need to bring their completed Form I-9 along with original documentation to the HRSC. BC students who graduate in May may be employed in a student job for the summer only; and, if a first-time University employee, that individual also will need to read, complete, and sign the Student Hours form. May graduates, as well as Non-BC students, will complete the Student Hours form when completing the Form I-9 process at the Human Resources Service Center at 129 Lake Street on the Brighton campus. In addition, they are also restricted to the same maximum number of hours per week, and other policies, as are BC students.

Please contact the Office of Student Services if you have any questions concerning hourly wage student employment policies.

Contact the appropriate budgetary approval office if you have questions concerning budgetary fiscal matters.

Contact the Human Resources Service Center concerning the processing of hire forms in PeopleSoft/HR or time records in Kronos.

Contact the Office of International Students and Scholars if you have any questions about on-campus employment for international students.