Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Off-Campus Federal Work-Study

Students who have been awarded Federal Work-Study for this academic year are eligible to work off campus through this program. If you decide to work through this program, at one of the agencies that have contracted with Boston College specifically for this academic year, you will be an employee of Boston College and will be paid directly by this University. However, it is not a cost-free program for the agency. Read the following information carefully, and contact the Office of Student Services at 617-552-3300 if you have any questions.

The academic year employment period begins Sunday, August 26, 2018, and ends Saturday, May 18, 2019. You may not begin working through this program prior to August 26, but you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during this period. Students may work more than 20 hours per week (but less than 30 hours) between semesters and during school breaks. These hours-per-week limits apply even if you are working more than one job for Boston College at any time during the academic year. The Office of Student Services, as well as Human Resources, will be monitoring hours being worked for compliance with this University policy. Please note that all forms must be received, reviewed, and approved by this office before you begin working through this program.

It is also your responsibility to keep an accurate record of your earnings, since you have a maximum Federal Work-Study amount that you may earn. The electronic Financial Aid Award Notification you were sent references the amount; be certain that it references Federal Work-Study as your employment award for this academic year. In addition, be aware that working two jobs for the University will deplete your Work-Study award that much sooner.

All new employees, including students, must complete a Direct Deposit Enrollment Form as well as Federal and State income tax withholding forms. These forms are available at the Human Resources Service Center’s (HRSC) website,, as well as at You can bring them to the HRSC at 129 Lake Street on the Brighton campus, or you can complete those forms online through on your “My Services” page when you have access after your hire form has been processed by the HRSC. (Refer to “News & Notes” on the Student Employment main page for additional information.)  Also, new student employees will need to complete a Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility and Verification). This form is available at the aforementioned websites. The student completes Section 1 of the I-9 and brings that form along with original documentation (refer to the HRSC’s website) to the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall.  This form is not available through

In addition, all new student employees will be required to read, complete and sign the form "Student Hours at Boston College" pertaining to the number of hours students may work for Boston College at different times of the year. This form will be given to the student and needs to be done at the time when the Form I-9 process is being handled. Boston College undergraduate and graduate students (except new graduate student hires being paid a monthly stipend) will complete and sign the Student Hours form at the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall.

The listings on our web site are from agencies that have contracted with our office for this academic year. Review those public interest and community service listings, contact any employers directly to schedule interviews, and bring your paper Hire/Rehire Form with you to the interview. Hire/Rehire Forms are available at the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall and on

NOTE: If there is a non-profit community service or public interest (non-profit or government) agency that you would like to work at during this academic year which isn't listed on our website, contact this office for specific details. (Request a contract package to be mailed to that agency, which will need to complete and sign the package and return it to this office for review and approval before you begin working. Also, the job title and hourly wage must agree with our "Student Job Classifications and Wage Structure," which is included in that contract package, since you are considered an employee of Boston College. Note also that this is not a cost-free program for that agency; it will be required to pay 42.65% of your Federal Work-Study earnings, with payment sent directly to Boston College.) The agency must contract, thereby agreeing to participate in this program; otherwise, any employment is not sanctioned through this program, and any wages owed are a matter between you and that agency.

A Boston College Off-Campus Federal Work-Study Hire/Rehire Form is required, and you and your supervisor must complete that form. Your supervisor completes the Agency Data section, and you complete the Student Data section. Be certain that your supervisor signs and dates your Hire/Rehire Form; otherwise, your Hire/Rehire Form cannot be approved and processed by the University, and it will be mailed back to the agency, resulting in delays.

The completed and signed Hire/Rehire Form is to be sent or delivered to our office for review and approval before the student may begin to work there through this program. Our mailing address is:

Boston College
Office of Student Services
Lyons Hall
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

When your Hire/Rehire Form has been reviewed and approved by our office (Note: The form will not be reviewed unless the agency has first contracted with us for this academic year), a blank time sheet will be sent to the agency along with a confirmation letter. You will be sent a copy of that confirmation letter. Off-Campus Agency Time Sheets can be found at

Students are paid for hours worked only. They are not paid for lunch breaks, sick days, holidays, or as a result of any emergency closing.

You must complete and sign your Boston College Off-Campus Agency Student Time Sheet, obtain your supervisor's signature on the time sheet, and submit it weekly. The time sheets must be received in good order at the Office of Student Services by 4:00 p.m. on Thursday of that current work week in order for you to receive a payment on Friday of the following week. When a holiday occurs, your time sheet will be due earlier the week before the holiday. Time sheets may be delivered or mailed (but not faxed) to the Office of Student Services for review and approval, and the agency will be contacted for clarification if there is a discrepancy.

Direct Deposit is the method of payment for all University employees. A Direct Deposit Enrollment Form is available at or at This form also can be completed after your Hire Form has been processed by the HRSC and you have access to that site on (Refer to “News & Notes” on the Student Employment main page for additional information.) Contact the HRSC at 617-552-4772 if you have any questions.

Accepting a position involves a commitment, and you have definite responsibilities to your employer. Besides performing your duties to the best of your ability, you are expected to be dependable and considerate, and you must notify your employer as early as possible if you are going to be absent, arrive late, or need to leave early, since it may be necessary to assign your duties to another employee. Also, you must act in a professional manner concerning confidentiality of University, employer, or student records. A breach of confidentiality is cause for dismissal from any employment program.

A student's employment may be terminated by his or her employer if that student's work is unsatisfactory or if the student fails to comply with required policies and procedures. Furthermore, students with poor work records or fail to comply with the University’s student hours policy may forfeit their eligibility to participate in any current and future student employment programs with Boston College. Keep in mind that future employers may want to contact the University for employment-related references after you graduate.

Do not hesitate to contact the Office of Student Services if you have any questions about academic year student employment. If you have any questions concerning tax withholding or Direct Deposit, contact the HRSC at 617-552-4772.