Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

general questions

Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.


(Printable Version)

1. What is Boston College's federal school code?

Boston College's federal school code is 002128.

2. Where should I mail financial aid documents after I have filled them out?

All completed financial aid documents should be mailed to our Financial Aid Processing Center at:

Boston College Financial Aid Processing Center
P.O. Box 67486
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

Be sure to include your Eagle ID number on all documents. Boston College does not participate in the College Board's IDOC.

3. How do I check the status of my financial aid application?

The status of your financial aid application, and any outstanding requirements, can be viewed through or through

4. How will the Undergraduate Financial Aid Office communicate with the student?

Almost all communication from our office is done via email. Emails are sent directly to the student at their Boston College email address.

5. What is the income cut-off for financial aid eligibility?

Since income is only one factor taken into consideration in determining eligibility for financial aid, there is no income cut-off. In addition to income, we take into consideration many factors, including parent and student assets, family size, tax liability, the number of students in college, business investments, rental property, and student earnings. The only way to determine eligibility for financial aid is to submit an application.

6. My parents will not be claiming me as a dependent on their tax returns. Can I file my financial aid applications as an independent student?

To determine if you meet the federal definition of an independent student, review the questions in Step Three of the FAFSA. Even if you meet the federal definition of an independent student, you still must provide your parents' financial information on the FAFSA and CSS Profile to be considered for Boston College Grant funds.

7. What if one or both of my parents refuse to contribute to my education?

We believe students and their parents have primary responsibility to cover the cost of a Boston College education to the extent they are able to do so. Financial aid decisions are based on ability, not willingness to pay. You may wish to explain to an unwilling parent that we will not share his/her financial information with others. Also, by submitting the necessary financial information on the FAFSA and BC Financial Aid Application or CSS Profile, the parent is in no way obligated to contribute to educational costs. The information is simply used to determine eligibility for need-based aid. We cannot increase financial aid because of a parent's unwillingness to contribute, so a student may be faced with taking out loans to finance the parent's expected contribution.

8. What can I do if my parents are unable to meet the parent contribution?

If there are no changes in your financial circumstances and no additional information that you did not originally share with Boston College, your parents will need to consider ways to pay based on their income, assets, ability to borrow, and their own financial priorities. Boston College offers a number of parent payment and loan options that can help make paying for Boston College a manageable expense. For further information see our Financing Options page at

9. I am interested in paying my bill over time. Are there any payment options available?

Boston College offers a monthly payment plan. You can learn more about the plan on our payment options webpage at

10. What is the difference between a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan?

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is awarded on the basis of need according to federal eligibility standards. Interest on this loan does not accrue while the student remains in school at least half time. If other forms of financial aid do not meet the total costs of education, any degree-seeking U. S. citizen or permanent resident, regardless of need, can qualify for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan by completing the financial aid application process. Interest on an unsubsidized loan accrues while the student attends college. For more information on Federal Direct Loans and the application process, visit

11. Where should I mail outside scholarship checks?

Outside scholarship checks should be mailed to the Office of Student Services at:

Office of Student Services
Lyons Hall
140 Commonwealth Ave
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

12. How do I view my bill?

Your bill can be accessed through by clicking on "My Bill" under "Account and Personal Info."

13. How do I request a refund from my student account?

You can request a refund through by clicking on "Request Student Account Refund" under "Account and Personal Info."

14. As a first time borrower, what requirements are needed in order for my federal student loans to be disbursed?

First time borrowers need to complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note for Direct and Nursing loans. Please visit the Department of Education website at to complete Direct loan requirements. For additional information on the Direct loan, please visit Please visit to complete your Nursing loan requirements. For additional information on the Nursing loan, please visit our Nursing Loan web page.

15. I don't see my College Work-Study award deducted from my bill. Why?

Your work-study award is never deducted from your bill. It must be earned. You are paid weekly for the hours you have worked.

16. I was awarded Federal Work Study funds. Do I have to earn the full amount awarded to me? 

The amount of your work-study award listed on your award letter is the maximum eligibility level, not a guarantee. Actual earnings depend on your hours worked and the pay rate of your position.

17. How can I find out more about my federal financial aid?

For more information about federal financial aid, visit

18. My FAFSA was selected for Verification. What does this mean?

Verification is a process by which the Department of Education or the Institution verifies the information provided on your FAFSA through collecting federal income tax data. For more information, visit

19. What is the FSA ID?

The FSA ID is an official username and password that serves as confirmation of a student's or parent's identity and allows for access on the U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID allows you to electronically sign your FAFSA and other federal student aid documents. For more information, visit the Federal Student Aid web page.

20. What is the IRS Data Retrieval Tool?

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will allow you and/or your parents to upload federal income tax return data directly to your FAFSA. For more information, visit​

If you would like a paper copy of this webpage, please contact the Office of Student Services' Communications team at or the Office of Student Services.