Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

IRS Form 1098-T Information

office of student services

Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.

red rule home page
1098T web chat
red rule home page

Under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, certain tax benefits may be available to students who have incurred qualified expenses for higher education. To assist you in the determination of eligibility for an education tax credit, Boston College provides Form 1098-T.

1098-T forms are mailed annually by January 31. The 1098-T form is for informational purposes only, and, while you should retain a copy for your records, you are not required to submit it with your tax return. The information reported to students on Form 1098-T is also reported by Boston College to the IRS.

Boston College is required to report this information to the IRS, along with your Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number. If you have not already provided this information on your admissions or student employment application, please complete and submit IRS Form W-9S (PDF) to the Office of Student Services. Students are required by the IRS to provide this information to their college or university to facilitate 1098-T reporting.

Boston College cannot provide you with tax advice. If you need assistance in determining how to report this information on your tax return, please refer to IRS Publication 970 (available on the IRS website), or consult a licensed tax preparer.

Frequently Asked Questions

I did not receive my 1098-T form. Can I get another copy?

Please note that the website for 1098-T forms has changed. You can view and print your 2017 1098-T form by visiting Heartland ECSI’s website at For forms prior to 2017, please contact Student Services at 800-294-0294. If you have trouble accessing your 2017 form, please contact ECSI at 866-428-1098 or by live chat on their website.

1098-T forms are mailed to your home address on file at Boston College. Please be sure to keep your address up to date to ensure proper delivery of future correspondence from Boston College. You can review and update your address information through

Why is Box 1 left blank?

Boston College is required to report either payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed (Box 2), but not both. The University has opted to report amounts billed. This reporting method must be applied universally and cannot be adjusted on an individual basis.

What are "qualified" expenses?

Qualified expenses are limited to tuition and certain related expenses required for enrollment in a course. Room, board, and miscellaneous charges such as fees for parking permits or medical insurance premiums are not included.

I graduated in May but did not receive a 1098-T. Why not?

The information on Form 1098-T is based on the amounts billed in the prior calendar year. Charges for the Spring semester are typically billed in November. Therefore, these amounts would have been reported on the prior year's 1098-T form.

Box 7 indicates that the amount in Box 2 includes amounts billed for an academic period that takes place in the next calendar year. If this box is checked, you may be eligible to claim a tax credit in either year. You should consult a licensed tax preparer for specific information about your potential eligibility.

I think my 1098-T amounts are inaccurate. What should I do?

Per IRS requirements, the 1098-T reports information for a calendar year (January 1 through December 31). Spring charges and aid can be applied between November and January, which affects which calendar year 1098-T they appear on. The spring charges and aid may be correctly reported on your 1098-T forms but not for the year that you were expecting. You can verify the timing of charges and aid disbursements by reviewing your billing statements in the “My Bill” section of your student account. You may use your personal financial statements (billing statements) as supporting documentation rather than the 1098-T to determine your eligibility for education tax credits.