Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

All Student Services Resources A to Z

Office of Student Services

Please note: Some of these files are Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.



Alphabetical Listing of Student Services Resources


Academic Calendar

Academic Record
A student's academic record is the official record of all courses, credits, grades, and degrees in chronological order from the student's entrance to the university.

Access Code
Undergraduates use their password and a 4-digit access code to register. Access codes and registration appointment times are printed on the "Registration Information/Degree Audit" forms that students receive from their academic advisors.

Appointment Time
Appointments are scheduled from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and are based on class year. Students may not register before their appointment time, but they may register anytime thereafter.

Audit Course

Undergraduate students may not audit a course with the exception of undergraduates in WCAS.
Students in GSMCAS and CGSON may register for an audit online. CGSOM, SSW, Law School, and LSOE students must consult the Associate Dean’s Office before they can audit a course. WGCAS students may not audit courses. After the drop/add period, graduate students who wish to change a course from credit to audit or audit to credit must go to the Associate Dean's Office and complete a Graduate Course Exception form. Students in the Carroll School of Management Graduate Programs may change a course from credit to audit but not audit to credit.




Boston Theological Interreligious Consortium (BTI)

The Boston Theological Interreligious Consortium (BTI), a consortium of theology faculty primarily in the Boston-Newton-Cambridge area, has as its constituent members the following institutions:

  • Boston College Theology Department
  • Boston College School of Theology and Ministry
  • Boston University School of Theology
  • Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
  • Hartford Seminary
  • Harvard Divinity School
  • Hebrew College
  • Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
  • St. John’s Seminary and Theological Institute

This consortium offers complete cross-registration in several hundred courses, the use of library facilities in the nine schools, joint seminars and programs, and faculty exchange programs.

Theology majors and students in the School of Theology and Ministry who want to cross register through the Boston Theological Interreligious Consortium should pick up a cross registration petition in Lyons Hall and return it with an authorization by the appropriate date. Students are expected to consult with their advisor or department chairperson before cross registering. Graduate Theology majors may take up to half of their courses through BTI.









Catalog Policies

Catalog Style Guide


Classrooms, one-time bookings


Closed, Restricted, and WCAS (Evening) Courses
Courses that are restricted by school, degree, or major are marked in the print and online schedule of courses with an asterisk (*), and the specific restrictions are printed underneath.


Students who want an override into a closed or restricted course should go to the department offering the course. The departments should do one of the following: decline the request, add the course to the students’ schedule, or provide them with a stamped override form that they bring to Student Services, where the staff will add the course to their schedule.


WCAS designates a limited number of spaces in certain courses for students in MCAS, CSOM, LSOE, and CSON. Students may enroll in only one WCAS course per semester. For the fall and spring semester, students can sign up for WCAS courses in McGuinn 100 beginning on the first day of classes. Courses are offered on a first come, first served basis with a limited number of spaces in each course. Freshmen may not enroll in WCAS courses.


Conflicting Courses
Students who receive a "Time Conflict" message while they are registering for courses need to check the course schedule on or the Course Status List available on U-View. What is on the computer is correct since it is the most up-to-date.


Under a program of cross registration, sophomores, juniors, and seniors may take one elective course during each semester at Boston University, Brandeis University, Hebrew College, Hellenic College, Pine Manor College, Regis College, or Tufts University if a similar course is not available at Boston College. Cross registration forms are available in the Office of Student Services, Lyons Hall.


Graduate students, except law students, may cross register for one course each semester at Boston University, Brandeis, and Tufts. M.B.A. students are not permitted to register at Brandeis University and students in the Graduate Finance Program are not allowed to cross register at any of the universities. Cross registration materials are available in Lyons Hall.


Law school students may cross register for classes only at Boston University Law School and only if the course they wish to take at BU will not be offered at any time during the current academic year. Students wishing to cross register must see the Director of Academic Services for permission.


The Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies (GCWS) is an inter-institutional enterprise established to advance the field of women's studies and enlarge the scope of graduate education through new models of team teaching and interdisciplinary study. Faculty and students are drawn from nine member schools: Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis, Harvard, Northeastern, MIT, Simmons College, Tufts, and UMass Boston. Graduate students enrolled in degree programs at Boston College may with the permission of their department apply to participate in this program.


Core Curriculum



Course Evaluations—Faculty and Staff


Course Evaluations—Students


Course Information and Schedule


Course Numbers
The Boston College course number consists of seven characters. The first two characters (alphabetic prefix, e.g., “MA”) indicate the department or program offering the course and the last two characters indicate the section number. The middle three characters indicate the level of the course.


Generally, course levels are as follows:


CORE—Courses fulfilling University Core requirements
ONE—Undergraduate electives
TWO—Undergraduate courses designed primarily for majors
THREE—Courses for undergraduate and graduate registration
GRAD—Courses for graduate registration


Cross Registration
Boston College students register for courses at participating BTI or consortium schools or through the Graduate Consortium in Women's Studies.








Degree Audits
Degree audits are available for students in MCAS, CSOM, CSON, LSOE, and the Law School. A degree audit is a computer-generated analysis that enables students and their advisors to review academic progress and unfulfilled requirements. The degree audit is a valuable tool for academic planning because it matches the courses taken with the requirements for a degree program.


Students can request a degree audit or a simulated degree audit (which shows the requirements for different schools, majors, and minors) from at any time.


Degree requirements are printed on the left side of the degree audit. Courses completed successfully and courses in progress are printed beside the requirement on the right side of the audit. A requirement is marked complete (***) upon receipt of a satisfactory grade. The requirement is not marked complete if the course is in progress (IP) or if the course is a year-long course that is graded at the end of the second semester (J).


The Language Proficiency Requirement for MCAS and CSOM is marked complete after the student has either received a satisfactory score on the SAT II's or has completed at least the second semester of an intermediate level course. All other language courses leading up to the fulfillment of the requirement are listed as electives.


One hundred and twenty credits, which include all Core and major requirements, are required to earn a degree. Students in the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences must complete 96 of the 120 required credits in the Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences.


Labs, withdrawals (W's), failed courses (F's), and advanced placement credits (AP) are printed at the bottom of the form in the section marked “Labs and other courses not counting toward the 120 credits (MCAS, LSOE, CSOM) or 117 credits (CSON) required for the degree.”


Elective courses are printed at the bottom of the degree audit in the section marked “Courses counting toward degree not matched to above requirements.” Some courses can be reused to fulfill both Core and major or minor requirements, but count only once in the degree summary tally at the end of the report.


Degree Programs


Undergraduate students with documented physical and learning disabilities receive the accommodation of a priority registration appointment during their first two years.


Doctoral Continuation
A student attains the status of a doctoral candidate by passing the doctoral comprehensive or the oral defense of the publishable paper and by satisfying all departmental requirements except the dissertation. Doctoral candidates are required to register each semester and to pay for doctoral continuation until they graduate. Students in Nursing, Education, and Graduate School of Social Work register for Doctoral Continuation after completing all courses including the required two or more semesters of dissertation-related course work.


Students registered for Doctoral Continuation in one semester will be registered for the next semester until they graduate. Students are not registered automatically for the summer term. Students whose departments require permission need to obtain an override for Doctoral Continuation and process it in the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall.


Drop/Add Courses
Graduate and undergraduate students register and drop/add using one of the following options:


  • "Register for Courses" link under "My Services" through
  • U-Dial voice response system, 617-552-8800
  • U-View using the University’s Information Systems (UIS)


The registration systems are available seven days a week, with exceptions, until 11:00 p.m. through the first seven class-days of the semester.


Drop/Add Period
The drop/add period is the first seven class-days of the semester, although students may drop/add any time after their registration appointment through 11:00 p.m. on the last day of the drop/add period.








Eagle Number
The Eagle Number is the first 8 digits beneath the name on the EagleOne card.


Esyllabus— Faculty and Staff




Enrollment Status






Faculty Calendar


FERPA Student Rights


FERPA: What faculty and staff members need to know








Grade Changes and Grading








How to Register using U-View






Index Number
The index number is the four digit number which appears to the left of the course and may be used instead of the course number.






























Minors, Interdisciplinary, MCAS
















Override Form
Students must obtain an override form from the department to obtain a seat in courses that are restricted by school, degree, or major. The override form must be stamped in the appropriate section:


  • "Open/Restricted" overrides school, major, degree, and department restrictions.
  • "Override for a Closed Course" overrides all restrictions and size limits for closed courses.
  • "Approval for Time Conflict" overrides a corequisite or allows students to be registered for two courses that conflict in time.


Overrides cannot be processed through U-Dial or U-View.










Pass/Fail Electives—Graduates
The GPA will not be affected by a P, but if the student fails the course, the F is calculated into the GPA. Field Education in the School of Social Work is graded on a pass/fail basis. A pass/fail option is available for a limited number of other courses when approved by the Associate Dean for Academic and Student Services. Connell School of Nursing students enroll in NURS9810, NURS9811, NURS9812, NURS9813, NURS9902, and NURS9903 on a pass/fail basis. Graduate students in the Law School and the Lynch School of Education may not take courses pass/fail unless the entire course has been designated a pass/fail course. School of Theology and Ministry students should contact their school for polices related to pass/fail. Students in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Carroll School of Management, and Woods College of Advancing Studies may not take courses counting toward the degree pass/fail.
















Registration Calendar


Registration Hold
Students who have an outstanding balance on their student account or who have failed to submit proof of immunization to the Health Services Office will have a hold placed on their registration. If a registration hold message appears at the bottom of their Registration Information/Degree Audit Form, they must see the appropriate office (Outstanding Balance-Student Services, Immunization-Health Services) to resolve the situation before they can register.








Student Information


















University Degree Requirements—Undergraduate














Withdrawal from a Course
Undergraduates may drop or add a course(s) online during the first seven class-days of the semester. Undergraduates only may drop a course, including a sixth course, until October 1, in the fall and February 15, in the spring semesters in their Associate Dean's office.


After the extended drop period, undergraduates who withdraw from a course will have a "W" recorded in the grade column of their academic record.


Graduate students who withdraw from a course after the drop/add period (first seven days of the semester) will have a "W" recorded in the grade column of their academic record.


To withdraw from a course all students must go to the Forms page of the Student Services website, print the withdrawal form, and then go to the Office of the Associate Dean for their school. Students will not be permitted to withdraw from courses after the published deadline. Students who are still registered at this point will receive a final grade for the semester.


Withdrawal from Boston College
Students who wish to withdraw from Boston College in good standing are required to file a Withdrawal Form in the Associate Dean's Office. In the case of students who are dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons, the Associate Dean will process the withdrawal.