Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Frequently Asked Questions

office of residential life

Thomas More Apartments

General Housing Questions ▼

I have a condition that requires specific housing accommodations; how do I make that request? Students with a medical condition, psychological or physical disability must register with the Boston College Office of Disability Services to be considered for a housing accommodation.

How does the Room Selection Process work? For detailed information please visit the Room Selection Page.

What types of Living-Learning Communities are available? Please visit Living-Learning Communities page for detailed information on various programs available.

How do I set up my on-campus address? Detailed instructions on how to use your mailing address can be found in Residence Hall Mailing Information page.

I think I want to do a room change. What do I do? If you wish to change your room, please read our information on changing rooms.

I am going to take a leave of absence from housing. What do I do? Please visit Placement Issues for detailed information on taking a leave of absence from housing.

How can I find out if I have three or four years of housing? The information is available on the Agora Portal. Log on to the portal, click on "My Reslife," then "Web Forms," and finally "Assignment History."

I want to appeal for an additional semester or year of on-campus housing. Please visit Housing Appeals for information on the housing appeal process.

How do I find off-campus housing? Visit our Off-Campus Housing web site for a complete guide to securing off-campus housing.

How do disciplinary sanctions affect my housing? Any student who has been sanctioned to an administrative assignment will not be able to participate in the room selection process, but will maintain their eligibility to live on campus. Their housing assignment will be determined by the Office of Residential Life over the summer months.  Students sanctioned to an administrative placement are not eligible to submit a room change request. Students suspended/dismissed from the University or housing are ineligible to participate in the room selection process.

How do I reserve a lounge in one of the residence halls? Student group lounge requests need to be approved by the Resident Director of the community. Please allow adequate time for your request to be reviewed before the day of your event. The Resident Director will notify you if you have been approved to use one of the lounges, along with any additional information or policies about use of the lounge. If you want to reserve a reflection room, please contact Campus Ministry. If you are not a student group and would like to inquire about reserving lounge space, you can call 617-552-4824.



Students in residence hall

Life in the Halls ▼

How do I submit a work order? Work Orders need to be submitted online through Agora Portal. They are listed under "My Services" tab and "Facilities Work Request."

What do I do if a washing machine or dryer breaks in the laundry room?  Please fill out Mac-Gray's online customer service form.

How do I recycle in the residence halls? Please visit Recycling in the Halls for detailed information. 

Do the residence halls have wireless Internet access? Wireless Internet access is available in all residence halls.  To learn how to activate your laptop on Boston College network please visit About Wireless Access.

Can I have a candle in my room?  No. Candles are prohibited on campus. For a complete list of prohibited items please review Residential Life's Safety and Security Policies.

What kinds of animals can I keep in my room?  Students may keep tropical fish in tanks no larger than 20 gallons. No other animals are allowed within the residence halls. Service animals and animals required for a medical need must be approved by Residential Life and Disability Services prior to being allowed in the residence halls. Please review our Animal Policy for details. Failure to comply with this policy will result in the immediate removal of the pet from the hall and a minimum $50.00 cleaning charge.

What are the "Conditions for Residency" that I should know about? The Conditions for Residency are policies set by University regarding the administrative and safety issues of living in a residence hall. Please read Conditions for Residency to answer most of your other questions regarding life in the halls.

How do I appeal a fine I received from Residential Life? Please visit My Reslife to appeal a fine or charge you received. Please note: This form is only for charges received from the Office of Residential Life.

I want to hang flyers in the residence halls. What do I have to do? Please bring your flyers to the Office of Residential Life for approval and distribution. Up to 147 copies can be posted in the residence halls. The entire process can be found on Posting Flyers in the Residence Halls page.

How do I get my door combination or lock changed? All combination or lock change requests must go through that community's Resident Director. The member of the room, suite, or apartment requesting the change will have their student account charged. The Resident Director will put in the request, however, the physical change may take up to 48 hours. Special consideration is given to high-priority needs. The person who makes the request is responsible for contacting all of the members of the suite to inform them of the new combination. The Lock Shop staff will leave a notice on the door when the change is complete. If the lock is being changed, the new keys will be available in the main office to pick up the morning the lock is changed. Each resident must get his or her own replacement key. A BC ID and the old key are required.

How much does a combination or lock change cost? There is a $50 charge to change a suite combination or lock. Once you officially request the change, you may request a fee waiver from your RD. A fee will not be waived if a member of your suite shared the combination with someone not living in the room.

What should I do if my BC ID won't allow me into my residence hall? Please contact the Office of Residential Life at 617-552-3060.


Resident Assistants

Interested in Becoming an RA? ▼

What are the financial benefits of being an RA? RAs are compensated for their work with free room and board.

How do I apply to be an RA? Applications are available online in the Fall semester, usually at the beginning of December. The selection process has two parts, a group interview and an individual interview, both ocurring in the beginning of the Spring semester. More detailed information can be found on Resident Assistant page.


Summer Housing and Employment ▼

I've heard ResLife hires students to work in the Summer. How do I find out what positions are available, and how do I apply? Many positions are available in the Summer for BC undergraduate students. Check Summer Staff for further deatils.

I already have a job planned for the Summer at BC. What type of housing is available on campus during the Summer for student workers, and how do I apply? For detailed information, please visit Student Employee Housing.

What kind of housing is available for students taking classes in the Summer, and how do I apply? If you are taking classes in Summer Session I and Summer Session II, please visit Summer Session Housing.


BC shuttle bus

Campus and Boston Transportation ▼

Is there transportation on campus, such as a bus or subway? There are two shuttle main BC Shuttle routes to facilitate transportation around and between campuses. The B Line of the MBTA's Green Line makes its final stop at the foot of the University.

Whom do I contact if I have a question regarding the BC Shuttle Bus? Please visit the BC Shuttle web site for all information.

How long is the trip from the Boston College campus to the city of Boston? 
By car, it takes about 15–25 minutes to travel from Boston College to Kenmore Square. This depends very highly upon the traffic and time of day.

The MBTA also provides access to and from BC via its Green Line:

* The B Line travels down long, winding Commonwealth Avenue, making 19 stops on its way to Kenmore Square. This can take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes, also depending on the time of day (by bus: 15–30 minutes, by foot: 40 minutes).

* Alternatively, you can also catch the C Line in Cleveland Circle, which makes 13 quick stops along scenic, tree-lined Beacon Street before reaching Kenmore Square.

* Faster still is the D Line, which you can pick up in Cleveland Circle as well. It makes only 6 stops to the same location, usually taking 20 minutes or less.

Finally, the campus is near various MBTA bus routes. The buses can bring you to other parts of the Boston Metro area, such as Harvard Square.


More Questions? ▼

If you have any further questions that weren't answered on this page or the rest of the Residential Life web site, please contact us by email at or by phone at 617-552-3060.