Thanksgiving Day Host Program 2019
The Office of International Students and Scholars is proud to organize the annual Thanksgiving Day Host Program for international students. Thanksgiving is traditionally a time for Americans to be with their family, to remember their good fortune, and to be thankful for all that they have. Because most U.S. students will be spending the holiday at home with their families, we would like to extend to you an invitation to share in a traditional Thanksgiving Day feast with a Boston College faculty member or administrator on Thursday, November 28, 2019.
Participants in the past have found it to be a fun and engaging way to exchange ideas, customs, and other cross-cultural issues. It can also be a pleasant occasion to experience first-hand how Americans celebrate their holidays. We encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to share in our traditional celebration of appreciation as well as to enjoy a traditional holiday meal.
OISS will match as many students with host families as possible depending on the number of spots available at hosts' homes.
International students who are matched with a host will be welcomed to the host’s home for that day only.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the program, we would be more than happy to hear from you. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.552.8005.
Due to a large amount of interest in this program, we are unable to accept additional STUDENT applications. Our Grad Assistant will begin matching students with host families early next week. You will be notified by November 12 of your student's or host family's contact information.
- It’s a wonderful experience for us international students to learn about American culture and at the same time it’s also an opportunity for us students to share our own culture with the host families.
- It's a good opportunity to know more about the holiday and make new friends.
- I would recommend it because such a great program makes me feel at home.
Faculty & Staff Experiences:
- It was wonderful to have company for Thanksgiving, and I loved getting to chat with a student from another country.
- I really enjoyed exchanging stories with the kids. Learning about their backgrounds, their families, their plans. Seeing our children interact with them.
- It is always enjoyable to meet new students and make connections.