international student profile
1) What is your full name?
Katie Hope Burns
2) Where are you from?
Maynooth, Co. Kildare, IRELAND
3) What are you studying at BC?
I am studying law. I am taking 6 credits at the law school, Environmental Law and US Legal System. I am taking 6 credits on main
campus- Constitutional Law and Intro to Social Work.
4) Where did you do your undergraduate schooling and what did you study?
I did my leaving cert (Final High School Exam) at Mount Sackville Secondary School, Chapelizod, Dublin 20. I studied Math, English, Irish, Biology, Economics, Business Studies and French. I have completed 2 years of a 4 year law degree (LLB) at Trinity College Dublin.
5) Why did you come to the U.S. for school and why did you choose BC?
I chose BC because it was the only US College I could apply to from Trinity. Studying in a US college is something very few Irish undergrads get an opportunity to do so I knew it was a great and unique offering. I loved living in the US in the summer of 2008 in Montauk, New York.
6) Was the transition to Boston and BC difficult? Why or why not?
Not really. The International Office were very helpful. Orientation was a great way to meet people, however I couldn't attend a lot of things during orientation week because class had already started at law school. So that was difficult, and also it was at a time when we were house-hunting and looking for a house. Also, the continuous assessment and compuslary attendance at class was a change. But, having other irish people in the same position as me definitely made it easier, and having an IA and the International Exchange Office did also.
7) Was coming to BC your first time in the United States?
No- I spent 3 months living in Montauk Long Island in summer 2008.
8) What is your favorite food?
9) What do you plan to do when you graduate?
Travel, then study at post-grad level and hopefully work either in law or consulting.
10) What is your favorite place in Boston?