Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:


A. F-1 Transfers to a New Degree Program at Boston College
If you will be enrolling in a changed or a second degree program at Boston College, you should bring a copy of your acceptance letter and evidence of your financial support to the Office of International Students and Scholars BEFORE your current I-20 expires. The Office of International Students and Scholars will issue a new I-20 Form for the new degree program.

B. Transferring your F-1 Status- procedure
All students keep the same SEVIS identification number throughout the duration of their time in F-1 status. If you are currently a student in the U.S. you MUST transfer your F-1 status. (This applies to all students including those students traveling prior to their arrival to Boston College as well as those starting a new degree).

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to another academic institution if he or she:

  • Is in valid F-1 status.
  • Can document that he or she was a full-time enrolled student at the previous school. It is suggested that students obtain a letter from their department or a copy of their transcript to present to the new school.
  • Intends to pursue a full course of study at the proposed institution.
  • Is financially able to attend the new institution.

If a student has not been pursuing a full course of study at the previous institution or does not complete the transfer within the time allotted, he or she must apply for reinstatement to student status before a transfer can be requested.

Note: Students may re-enter the U.S. with their new I-20 without going to a U.S. Consulate to get the name of the new institution written onto the valid F-1 visa in their passport. It is strongly recommended that you carry a copy of the previous I-20 form from the institution designated on your visa. If a student travels outside the U.S. between programs at different institutions and his or her visa expires before re-entry, a new visa should be obtained at a Consulate abroad using the new I-20 Form and proof of funds.

C. J-1 Transfers- procedures
J-1 Transfers follow a similar procedure as outlined above. If you wish to transfer from one Exchange Visitor sponsor to another, you must notify your current sponsor of your plans and request that they release your SEVIS record to your new sponsor. The new sponsor will then issue a new DS-2019 Form for you and complete the transfer procedure. Please note that you must begin the transfer procedure before the expiration date of your current DS-2019 Form.