Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Unforseen Economic Need

Students who are full-time, in good academic standing, and have been in F-1 status for one academic year can apply for off-campus work authorization based on severe economic hardship assuming that other employment opportunities are not available. The economic need must be due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control, and the student must submit supporting materials documenting these conditions to the Immigration Service. This type of employment can be full-time during vacation periods. If you feel that you can meet the requirements of this work permission, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars to make an appointment with an advisor.