New Google Chat Available
Starting Wednesday, July 22, Boston College G Suite accounts will be upgraded to have Google Chat as the default chat application (replacing the soon-to-be-retired Hangouts Chat).
Google Chat lets you ask quick questions to colleagues, collaborate in group chats, create virtual rooms for team projects, and more. Many Chat users respond in real time, so decisions can be made or questions answered with less back and forth over email.
NEW TO CHAT?
- Start using Chat today: chat.google.com
- Get the Chat mobile app: Install the “Google Chat” app for iOS or Android.
- Chat rooms - With Chat, you can meet and brainstorm ideas with your team in rooms. Chat with your co-workers, share files and other online resources, and work together on team projects.
- Chat with external users - Chat with people who have Google accounts outside of BC.
- Edit or delete chat text
USING HANGOUTS CHAT NOW?
- Recreate Groups: If you currently use Hangouts Chat for group chats, recreate the groups in Chat.
- Change in Gmail: You will see Google Chat replace the classic Hangouts Chat in BC Gmail.
- Mobile App: The old “Google Hangouts” mobile app for iOS and Android will no longer work with your BC Google Account, instead use the “Google Chat” app.
- Access old chats:
- The classic Hangouts web experience will still be available to help ease the migration: hangouts.google.com
- If you use a web browser to access Gmail, you can search for old Hangouts.
UNDERSTANDING CHAT HISTORY
- Chat Rooms - Currently at BC, Room chat history is always on and kept indefinitely so members won't miss what was already discussed.
- 1-1 Chats - History can be toggled on/off. Learn how to turn chat history on or off.
- Group Chats - History can be toggled on/off. Learn how to turn chat history on or off.