Have a Happy and Secure Holiday!
If you get new Internet-connected devices as gifts this holiday season, here are a few tips to keep those devices and your information secure:
- Change default passwords: Hackers can access your devices if you don’t change the default password. Use the longest password or passphrase allowed for each device. Use different passwords for each device.
- Limit outside access to your data: Think twice before allowing apps to access your data (ex. “Allow [AppName] to access your Location?”).
- Think before you click: One of the easiest ways for cybercriminals to compromise your device is through a malicious link. Be cautious if you receive a link or other pop-up message that you were not expecting.
Learn more about this important security topic at bc.edu/security.
Have a happy and secure holiday season!
- Avoiding Holiday Scams (Better Business Bureau)
- Holiday Scams and Malware Campaigns (US Computer Emergency Readiness Team)