Systems, Operations & Architecture Services
information technology services
The mission of the Systems, Operations & Architecture Services group is to provide a robust, reliable, cost-effective, and sustainable computing environment in support of all the academic and administrative computing needs of the Boston College user community. This team manages the infrastructure technologies and university services such as Active Directory, network activation, email services, and system backup, providing the foundation on which all technical services and applications across the University rely.
- Collaboration Systems
- Computer Operations
- Information Technology Consultants
- Middleware Services
- Production and Data Services
- Systems Administration
Leo Chaharyn, Director
- Architecture Services – Advances the Application Architecture Environment to position Information Technology Services as a provider of an infrastructure and framework on which quality, reliable applications can be developed. Defines the standard set of tools, technologies, and frameworks used for application development.
- Collaboration Systems - Implements and maintains technologies to facilitate communication and collaboration including email services, web-based file sharing, personal and group calendaring, and application virtualization.
- Computer Operations - Utilizes various tools and resources for the monitoring of campus systems and applications, ensuring that unexpected problems or outages are reported promptly and services are restored as soon as possible.
- Information Technology Consultants - Designs, implements, and manages a wide range of client management solutions in support of the broader technology initiatives of ITS; These include virus production for the campus, inventory manage of workstations, workstation image definition and workstation backup.
- Middleware Services – Supports application infrastructure layer components and services; a critical part of the underlying architecture used by most University systems and applications. Builds and integrates new systems and ensures existing systems continue to run smoothly.
- Production and Data Services - Provides administrative support to centralized Information Technology functions, including the management of scheduled processes, identity and access control, management of core university data and report distribution, system documentation, and metrics.
- Systems Administration - Installs, maintains, and supports the operating system software and data storage environment for all University centralized servers. The group also does capacity planning for the data center as well as managing ITS's disaster recovery program.