Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

international programs

Lynch School of Education

office of international programs

We strongly encourage Lynch School students to study abroad, explore new places and look at the world differently. Wouldn't it be exciting to learn who the Xhosa are? What about scaling the Great Wall of China? Is there a blogger in you? "Oh, the Places I'll go" and apologies to Dr. Seuss.

When Can I Study Abroad?
Lynch School students are eligible to study abroad during either the fall or spring semester of the junior year. Students should begin planning in the fall semester of their sophomore.

Should I Study In A Foreign Language Destination?
Yes! Even though the Lynch School does not have a foreign language requirement, students are strongly encouraged to study abroad in a foreign language destination. For students who do not have language skills, there are several prestigious BC programs in non-English speaking countries that offer excellent courses in English.

What Classes Should I Take Before Studying Abroad?
Lynch School students are encouraged to concentrate on completing a majority of the university core courses before studying abroad. However, since students in other countries tend to specialize earlier in the field of study than students in the U.S., it is important to balance work on the core with work in the major/minor fields in order to build a strong background for study abroad. This background will allow you to participate in regular classes with local students, and take advantage of the best offerings at your host institution.

What Classes Should I Plan To Take Abroad?
All Lynch School students must meet with Maureen Raymond prior to applying for study abroad in order to discuss potential coursework. With careful selection and approval from the Lynch School, courses taken abroad can count for Lynch School major and minor credit. A&S double majors can also receive major credit for courses taken abroad with prior approval of the appropriate A&S department.

Lynch School students are encouraged to take electives abroad. The best types of courses are those that focus on the region in which you are studying, and those that reflect the strengths of the host university department.

Completing an international pre-practicum while abroad is highly recommended. In places where placements are not offered as a regular part of the program, it is possible to work with the BC practicum office in order to arrange a suitable local placement. Students interested in completing an international pre-practicum must meet with the International Practicum Coordinator in Campion 103 and are responsible for following the Pre-Practicum Abroad Policy.

What If I Am Planning To Do An Honors Thesis?
Students planning to do an honors thesis are advised to identify a potential topic and potential supervisor prior to studying abroad. Students should then keep in touch with the thesis supervisor while abroad. 

Department Information

Department Contacts

Assistant Dean, Course Approvals, & Academic Advisor

Audrey Friedman

Associate Director, Course Approvals, Academic Advisor, & JYA Advisor

Maureen Raymond

Assistant Director, Undergraduate Student Services Jill Pickener

Assistant Director, Academic Advisor

Rebecca Schmitz 

International Practicum