Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

international programs

Communication Majors and Minors

office of international programs

When Can I Study Abroad?
The department recommends that students study abroad in the spring semester of the junior year. Students may study abroad during the fall semester with department approval.

What Classes Should I Take Before Studying Abroad?
Early planning is essential to make sure that students will meet all BC requirements and the core Communication courses:

  • COMM 1010 Rhetorical Tradition
  • COMM 1020 Survey of Mass Communication
  • COMM 1030 Public Speaking
  • COMM 1040 Interpersonal Communication
  • COMM 3330 or COMM 3340 Communication Methods

It is strongly recommended that four of the five required Communication core courses should be taken prior to studying abroad. Communication majors must complete seven courses for the major by the end of their junior year. Two of these seven can be taken abroad for major elective credit with department approval. Communication majors should have no more than four major courses to complete in their senior year.

Communication majors should possess a strong communication background prior to studying abroad.  Since most international education systems require a higher degree of specialization at an earlier level, this strong background will allow students to take advantage of the best offerings at the host institution, including upper-level seminars. 

What Classes Should I Plan To Take Abroad?
Many Communication courses abroad will be embedded in different disciplines, such as journalism, political science, and media and technology studies. Courses that focus on the region in which students are studying and those that reflect the academic strengths of the host university department are highly recommended.

Communication majors may take up to two major elective courses while abroad with department approval. Students participating in a BC partnership program may enroll in the online course, CO 485 Advanced Intercultural Communication, while abroad. Interested students must receive permission of Dr. Lisa Cuklanz ( and the appropriate OIP Advisor.

What If I Am Planning To Do An Honors Thesis?
For students who are planning to do an honors thesis, it is advisable to identify a potential topic and potential supervisor prior to studying abroad. Students should then keep in touch with their thesis supervisor while abroad. Students should contact Prof. Celeste Wells ( for more information.


Department Information

Department Contacts

Course Approvals & Director of Undergraduate Studies Christine Caswell, Director of Undergraduate Studies