office of international programs
The Course Approval Process
- All BC students are expected to take a full load of courses (the equivalent of 15-16 US credits) at the host institution or approved external program abroad.
- Courses taken abroad automatically count toward general elective credit at BC. However, BC does not grant credit for courses in non-academic subjects (such as food, wine, fitness, sports, or chorus) or for personal or professional workshops. If you are at all unsure if a given course will count for credit, contact the Academic Operations Administrator before registering for the course.
- Undergraduate students may not audit a course.
- Certain courses abroad can count toward BC major, minor or core requirements with departmental approval. Keep in mind that a course must equate to 3 BC credits to fulfill a BC requirement; courses worth 5 ECTS credits, for example, may not automatically fulfill a BC requirement. For that reason, students should not expect to fulfill more than 3 major, minor, or core requirements while abroad. Please check with the Academic Operations Administrator with any questions.
- To obtain approval for courses to count toward major, minor, or core requirements, students complete a Course Substitution Form and bring it to the department for approval. Forms are available at Student Services in Lyons Hall. Completed forms must be returned to Student Services. (Note: For Cultural Diversity credit requests, no paperwork is required. Instead, please fill out the online form here.)
- Students should seek course approval prior to departure. If course registration plans change while abroad, students should e-mail department contacts and save all correspondence.
- Many BC departments have pre-approved courses abroad for major, minor, or core credit; these courses do not require a Course Substitution Form. Pre-approved courses are subject to availability, and students should check with their Academic Advisors to ensure that they are meeting their department's expectations with course selections abroad.
Course Approval Contacts
Click below to read more information about specific academic requirements, course approval abroad, department advising guides and department contacts.