More Hall, located on Commonwealth Avenue across from St. Ignatius Church, was named for Sir Thomas More (1478–1535), lawyer and martyr, first layman to be Lord Chancellor of England.
The Boston College Law School, founded in 1929, had several locations in downtown Boston until 1952, when the decision was made to move the school to the Chestnut Hill campus. The College acquired from the City of Boston a parcel of land along Commonwealth Avenue opposite the MTBA Station. On this site was built St. Thomas More Hall, a low-lying three-story building designed by Maginnis and Walsh and dedicated in November 1954. It was the home of the Boston College Law School for the next 20 years, until 1975, when it moved to its current location on the Newton Campus.
After the Law School moved out, More Hall was converted to other purposes, mostly related to the financial management of the University. Currently, the building houses the offices of the University Treasurer, the offices of Human Resources, and the University's Office of Development.