Fulton Hall is located between Gasson Hall and McGuinn Hall. It is named for Rev. Robert Fulton, SJ, who was first dean of Boston College, then served as president from 1870 to 1880 and again from 1888 to 1890.
Born in Alexandria, Virginia in 1826, Robert Fulton attended Georgetown University and was ordained as a Jesuit priest in 1857. He was assigned to Boston College when it first opened in Boston's South End and taught the first class of 22 students starting in September 1864.
Described as an "animating spirit" of the new institution, Father Fulton was made president of Boston College in 1870 and held office for what was then an unprecedented term of 10 years. He was relieved of his duties in 1880 to engage in pastoral duties in other parts of the country, but, with the unexpected death of Father Nicholas Russo in July 1888, Father Fulton was called back to assume the presidency of Boston College for a second time.
In March 1938, Rev. Willam J. McGarry, SJ, president of Boston College, authorized a four-year undergraduate program leading to a degree in business administration. Classes were at first held on Newbury Street in downtown Boston. A rapid increase in enrollment, however, made it necessary to move classes to Cardinal O'Connell House (formerly the Liggett Estate) on the Chestnut Hill Campus.
In June 1947, Rev. William L. Keleher, SJ authorized the construction of a building named after Father Fulton to house the College of Business Administration. Height restrictions were placed on Fulton Hall so that it would not block the view of the Gasson Hall Tower, which gave the new building a rather squat appearance. In the 1990s, however, a major renovation gave both graceful height and new Gothic splendor to Fulton Hall, which now houses the Carroll School of Management, named in honor of Wallace E. Carroll ('28), a generous alumnus.