Named in honor of Richard Cardinal Cushing, sixth Archbishop of Boston, Cushing Hall is located across from Fulton Hall, with which it makes up the farther end of Middle Campus.
A native of South Boston, Richard Cushing graduated from Boston College High School and attended Boston College for two years before going to St. John's Seminary to study for the priesthood. Ordained in 1921, Cushing became so successful in his endeavors to promote foreign missions that he was named Auxiliary Bishop of Boston. In 1944 he succeeded Cardinal O'Connell as Archbishop of Boston, and in 1958 he was elevated to the rank of Cardinal by Pope John XXIII.
During much of his public life, Cushing was afflicted by a series of illnesses that endangered his life and threatened to end his episcopacy. In gratitude to the nurses, whose hard work and medicinal skills had eased his sufferings and prolonged his life, he urged Boston College to construct a new building on the Chestnut Hill campus for its School of Nursing, and personally contributed nearly a million dollars for the project. The Cardinal himself presided at the dedication ceremonies on March 25, 1960.
Cushing Hall houses the offices of the dean and faculty members of the School of Nursing. In 2001 the School of Nursing was named in honor of William F. Connell ('59) in appreciation of his generous gift. Cushing Hall also is home to the school's counseling services, a chapel dedicated to St. Catherine of Siena, the University Infirmary, and a variety of classrooms and lecture halls. The building and its furnishings were a gift from Cardinal Cushing, and the dedicatory plaque at the entrance was designed by Allison Macomber, artist-in-residence at Boston College.