Teaching with Technology
Learn How to...
Communicate with students
- View a list of students enrolled in my course with their photograph
- View a list of students whom I advise
- Send an email message to students enrolled in my course
- Set up a class discussion board or chat room
Use the technology installed in the classroom
- Find what presentation equipment is installed in my classroom
- Learn how to use the equipment in the classroom
- Reserve a classroom with computers at each seat
Use and develop teaching materials
- Obtain a feature film
- Create a course website (use Canvas)
- Learn to use PowerPoint
- Find graphic and/or other media services
- Learn about fair use and copyright policies
- Learn about course reserves and linking them to Canvas
- Learn what software applications are available to students
Departments that assist faculty integrate technology into teaching include:
- Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE)
- Center for Digital Innovation in Learning (CDIL)
- Media Technology Services (MTS)
Communicate with Students
Lists of enrolled students
Lists are available within Agora Portal, the BC Intranet, (select: Course Rosters from your list of services). Photos are included.
Advisee information is available within Agora Portal (My Services > Campus Groups).
Email your students
You can send an email message to your entire class using a single address based on the course code number.
Discussion boards and/or chat rooms
Faculty may use Canvas to facilitate classroom discussion boards and chat rooms.
Use the Technology Installed in the Classroom
Many classrooms across campus have been equipped with computer and audio/visual projection systems. View profiles of classrooms. Most classrooms have projectors installed. If the classroom you use doesn't have a computer installed, you can bring a laptop and attach it to the projector. Equipment can also be borrowed from MTS (48 hour advance notice required). Borrow Additional Equipment: www.bc.edu/classroomsupport Equipment Reservation: 617-552-4219.
Classroom equipment training
Want to learn how to connect your laptop to the projection system or use the equipment in the media classrooms? Classroom Support Services Staff will meet with faculty or their Teaching Assistant in their classroom and provide instruction. Call 617-552-4219.
Use and Develop Teaching Materials
Obtain a feature film
Media Technology Services can help you obtain copy written feature films to show in class or to have films shown on one of BC's cable TV channels. View procedures and access the Public Performance Film Request Form.
Course website - Canvas www.bc.edu/canvas
The web-based Learning Management System in use at BC is Canvas. The Center for Teaching Excellence supports the use of Canvas to complement classroom instruction. To get started, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-552-3826.
ITS Communications & Training offers PowerPoint training. The Interactive Media Lab (IML) provides project specific assistance. On-line classes can be taken using Microsoft eLearning modules (must be using a Windows computer and Internet Explorer).
Design/photographic and other media assistance
Media Technology Services will create graphic materials for faculty and the Interactive Media Lab (IML) offers assistance and instruction on specific projects.
View course reserve information and linking course reserves to Canvas.