Downloading and Installing Sophos Anti-Virus 9
anti-virus software for mac os x (10.11 - 10.13)
Students can download Sophos Home directly from Sophos.
Faculty and Staff
Pre-installation (faculty & staff only)
You will need to remove any existing anti-virus software, such as Norton or McAfee, before installing the BC Sophos software. If you need assistance uninstalling your existing anti-virus software, please contact the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org or message us at live tech support chat (M-F 9am-5pm).
Installing Sophos Anti-Virus (faculty & staff only)
This software should take no more than 5 minutes to install.
- Download Sophos Anti-Virus from the software download site to your Desktop (BC sign-in required).
Note: If you get a message stating that the software is from an unidentified developer, right-click (control-click) on the installer file and select Open to continue with the install. Learn more about this message.
- Double-click the BC_Sophos_9 installation file on your desktop & follow the on-screen instructions to install.
Using High Sierra 10.13 or higher? When installing software downloaded from Boston College for the first time on a Mac with High Sierra 10.13 or higher, you will get an extension block alert after installation. Learn how to fix this extension block to allow Sophos to install.
- When prompted, enter your Mac username and password.
- After the software is installed, restart your computer.
- Drag the BC_Sophos_9 installation files to the Trash.
- In the menu bar, click the Sophos shield icon and select Update Now to immediately download and install the software's virus definitions.
NOTE: After the initial update, you do not need to take any special steps to make sure Sophos Anti-virus is up-to-date. Sophos Anti-virus for Mac OS X will update itself automatically.