Starting Summer 2019: BC Cable will only be available to upperclassmen. At the end of Spring semester 2020, BC Cable services will be retired. Remember: All students who live on campus have access to Xfinity on Campus at xfinityoncampus.com. Learn about Xfinity on Campus.
- BC cable TV is only available to students who reside on campus. Starting in Summer 2019, it will only be available to upperclassmen. At the end of Spring semester 2020, BC Cable services will be retired.
- All BC students with access to BC Cable, regardless of where they live on campus, get the same cable TV stations.
- There is a cable connection at each bed and in common areas of most residence halls.
- Because BC’s cable system is not scrambled, there is no need for a converter box.
- There is no additional monthly bill for cable service.
- Make sure to program your TV to recognize all the cable channels available at BC (consult your TV manual for instructions).
- Check out the full cable channel line-up.
- An HD and cable-ready TV with a built-in QAM tuner.
- QAM tuners allows the TV to tune to digital channels. Most modern TVs have a QAM tuner. We recommend you verify the TV has a QAM tuner before purchasing one for use at BC. Note: If you have a TV without a built-in QAM tuner, you can purchase a converter box. ITS has successfully tested the iView 3200STB and the 3500STBII, costing about $30 - $40.
- A coaxial cable (RG6 quad shield coaxial cable with male “F” connectors at both ends) [see Figure 1]. Note that not all TVs come with this cable, so you may need to purchase it before coming to campus or at the BC Bookstore.
Figure 1: RG6 quad shield coaxial cable with male “F” connector.
- Connect to the Cable TV jack in your room. Using your TV's remote, access the "Menu" feature. Look for "Settings" related to tuning or programming - and perform the "autoscan" function using the "cable" selection.
- Wait for the scan to finish - exit "Menu" and tune to channel 7 or 7.1 WGBH PBS Boston to test.
- If you're still not sure, consult your TV's user manual (most can be found online). The manual might refer to another kind of tuner, e.g., an ATSC / NTSC Tuner. There will be no mention of QAM.
What if I need help?
Call the Help Center at 617-552-4357 (HELP).