at boston college
Microsoft commercially released Windows 10 on July 29, 2015. There are several versions of Windows 10, including Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Enterprise, Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 S. Learn more from Microsoft.
Windows 10 may have compatibility issues with the software and services you use on campus. For more details, visit the Windows Application Support Grid (sign-in to BC Wiki required).
Note: All Windows computers distributed through the BCCR program have Windows 10 Enterprise (with the 1803 Feature Update) installed on them.
How can I upgrade my computer to Windows 10 Enterprise?
Before you upgrade, make sure all your other software is compatible with this version.
- Faculty & Staff: If you are interested in moving to Windows 10 Enterprise, please contact your Technology Consultant.
- Students: You can bring your computer to the Walk-In Help Desk in O'Neill 316.
Tip: You should always backup your computer before you upgrade to a new operating system.
Note: The Dell Latitude E6420 and E6320 have known system incompatibilities with Windows 10 and should not be upgraded.
Windows 10 Feature Updates
Microsoft is now releasing major Feature Updates to the Windows operating system 2-3 times a year that update built-in apps and add new features. These updates may take 30-60 minutes to complete.
Starting October 22, 2018, the 1803 Feature Update was available to BC-owned computers on campus.
Note: Microsoft released the 1809 Feature Update in November 2018, but it will be blocked on all BC-owned computers until testing is completed (6-9 months).
What to expect
Your computer will automatically download the Feature Update and notify you that it’s ready to install. You’ll be prompted to pick a time, remind you later, or do the update by restarting now (see Figure 1). Please do not turn off your computer during the update.
After the update
Upon logging in, you will see a screen that says “Getting things ready, this won't take long” for a few minutes before your desktop loads. You may need to reconnect to the BC network after the update.
- Wired Internet: Unplug the Ethernet cord from your computer and re-plug it in. Click Connect if prompted.
- WiFi: Re-connect to “eduroam.” Learn how at bc.edu/getconnected.
- Contact your TC for more information and assistance.
- For more information, visit the BC Wiki page about the 1803 Microsoft Feature Update (sign-in to BC Wiki required).