Office 365 at BC
free for bc faculty, staff & students
About Office 365 Education
Office 365 Education is a collection of services that allows you to collaborate and share your work online. The service includes Microsoft Office Online (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote) and 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage. Learn more about Office 365 Education.
Office 365 Education is not a required tool at Boston College, but BC faculty, staff, and students can use these services for free on Mac or Windows computers and/or mobile devices.
Security & Confidential Data
Office 365 Education data is saved to OneDrive, which is Microsoft's cloud storage service. OneDrive is off-campus and owned by Microsoft (not BC), and thus restricted & confidential data must not be stored on OneDrive.
Important: When sharing confidential data electronically it is important to ensure it is secure. We strongly recommend you review the Regulated Data Chart to help you decide where to store confidential data.
Signing up for Office 365 Education
Boston College faculty, staff, and students can use these services for free on Mac or Windows computers and/or mobile devices.
To sign up for Office 365 Education:
- Go to https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education and enter your BC email address.
- You will be prompted to create an Office 365 password.
Important: For security reasons, do not use your BC passwords to sign up.
- If you are installing the Office apps (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc) on your computer, you must uninstall any Office products currently on your machine first:
- Windows: Go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features. Search for Microsoft Office, then click it & select Uninstall.
- Mac: Click Finder > Applications. Command +click to select all of the Office for Mac applications (Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word). Ctrl+click an application you selected and click Move to Trash.
- After setting up your account and logging in, click Install Office in the top right corner of the screen, then select Office 365 apps to download the installer to your computer.
- Open the installer and follow the Install Microsoft Office prompts.
- Once installed, open Microsoft Word and click Get Started, then select Sign In. Sign in with the BC email address you used to create your Office 365 account, then click Next. Select Work or school account and then enter the password you just created for Office 365. Choose whether you would like to turn on Intelligent Services and then click Start Using Word. You will now be logged in to all of your Microsoft Office 365 apps.
Important: If you are working with restricted or confidential data, do not use Intelligent Services.
Note: Your files will be saved to your Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage account with 1 TB of space.
Mobile devices: You will have a better experience if you install the specific Office 2016 apps you need (Word, Excel, etc.). Follow the online instructions to install the Office 2016 apps. Note: The first time you open one of the apps, you will need to enter your BC email address again to activate Office.
Accessing Office 365 Education
After signing up for Office 365 Education, login to your account at: http://portal.office.com