Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Information Technology Services

Making Calls

Important BC Extensions

  • Emergency: Dial 2-4444
  • Non-Emergency Police: Dial 2-4440
  • Voicemail: Dial 2-4006

Resources for Making Calls

Local Calling

Making Local Calls from a Residence Hall or On Campus Office (655 or 656) phone:

  • To call a number starting with 656:  Dial 6 + 4-digit number
  • To call a number starting with 655:  Dial 5 + 4-digit number
  • Campus calls to BC faculty/staff (552 exchange): Dial 2 + 4-digit number
  • Toll free (800, 877, 888): Dial 9 + 1 + 8xx + 7-digit number
  • Toll free directory assistance:  9 + 1 + 800 + 555-1212
  • Metro Boston & local off campus (617 & local 781): Dial 9 + area code+ 7-digit number

All calls in the 617 area code are local calls.

The following towns are in the 781 local calling area:

Arlington, Braintree, Burlington, Canton, Dedham, Hingham, Hull, Lexington, Lincoln, Lynn, Malden, Medford, Melrose, Needham, Norwood, Randolf, Reading, Revere, Stoneham, Waltham, Wakefield, Wellesley, Weymouth, Winchester, Woburn


Long Distance Calling for Students

Options for Making Long Distance Calls

You have two options for making personal long distance calls on-campus:

  1. Use the long distance calling card of your choice.
  2. Call from your own mobile phone.

Special Billing Calls

You must use a calling card not associated with Boston College or your Boston College phone number.

  • Credit card calling cards: Dial 9 and follow the instructions on your calling card.
  • Collect/third party: Dial 9 + 0 + area code + 7 digit number


Long distance Calling for Faculty & Staff

Use of the Boston College telephone system, both for local and long distance calling, is restricted to Boston College business. However, the University does permit employees to call home once a day at no charge, even if the call is outside the local area, and to use the convenience of office telephones to make private calls during normal business hours. Employees are required to reimburse the University for all non-business and non-home calls that appear on departmental monthly telephone statements.

Long Distance Access Codes (LDAC)

In order to make a long-distance call from a BC office phone, you will need a Long Distance Access Code (LDAC).

If you do not already have an LDAC, contact your Technology Consultant. Note that the ability to make long distance calls ultimately requires approval from your department head. Once you are approved for an LDAC, you will receive an email instructing you how to use your new long distance access.

If you have forgotten your LDAC or need to change it, call the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357).


Making Long Distance Calls from an Administrative Office (552) Phone

  • Domestic US: Dial *99 (dial tone) + BC LDAC  (dial tone) + 9 + 1 + area code + 7-digit number
  • International: Dial *99 (dial tone) + BC LDAC  (dial tone) + 9 + 011 + country code + city code + number.


Personal Long Distance Calls

Rather than needing to reimburse the University, you have two options for making personal long distance calls on-campus:

  1. Use the long distance calling card of your choice (dial 9 and follow the instructions on your calling card).
  2. Call from your own mobile phone.