Google Team Drives are shared online storage spaces where teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device. Team Drives is a great tool for projects, committees, departments, or other team-related purposes.
Unlike files in My Drive, files in Team Drive belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave BC, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and get work done.
If you’ve ever used Google Drive before, you’ll find working with Team Drives is very similar.
- Management: Team Drives must initially identify a Team Drive “Organizer” who will be given “Full access.” This will allow that person to add new members or groups, and correctly manage files and folders (creating, deleting).
- Ownership: Team Drives are owned by the domain (Boston College) rather than individuals.
- Access: Folders and documents stored in a Team Drive can be accessed by all members of that Team Drive. Non-team members can be added to individuals files (not folders, at this time).
- Security: Team Drives follow the same security guidelines as your BC Google Drive account, and should not be used to store certain confidential data. Consult the Regulated Data Chart to learn what data can be stored in Google Drive.
Learn about Team Drives
Add Members to a Team Drive
- Important: ITS recommends Organizers should give most team members “Edit access” rather than “Full access,” and that each Organizer makes one team member a backup with "Full Access." This allows the Organizer to maintain control over who is added or removed from the team.
- Learn how to add new Members to a Team Drive (by Google).
Move Folders from your My Drive to a Team Drive (special access required)
Some Team Drive Organizers have requested special access to move folders from their individual My Drive to a Team Drive. To request this, please contact your Technology Consultant.
- Log into Google Drive on a computer.
- In the browser window, expand the My Drive and Team Drives folders to display the My Drive folders you want to move, and the Team Drive folder where you will them.
- IMPORTANT: If the My Drive folder is shared (), stop sharing. If you migrate a shared folder from My Drive to Team Drives, this will re-generate access request emails for every item in the folder.
- Once the folder is unshared (), drag the My Drive folders to the Team Drive folder.
- Accept the confirmation message to begin the migration process.
For Team Members
- Add New Files or Folders to a Team Drive (by Google)
- Organize Files in a Team Drive (by Google)
- Share and Collaborate with Non-Team Members in Team Drives (by Google)