Copying BC email to your non-BC account
before leaving bc
You may want to take a copy of your BC email with you before you leave BC. The instructions on this page show you how to set up your BC account to export your BC email to a non-BC account (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc).
Important: You must follow these instructions before your BC email account is deactivated. Access to your BC email and BC Google account (g.bc.edu) will not be available after the deactivation process.
Enabling your BC email to export
To enable your BC email to export:
- Log in to your BC email at g.bc.edu.
- If you don't have Google's 2-Step Verification enabled, then follow these steps to allow less secure apps to access your account.
- On the right side, select the settings icon, then select Settings again (see Figure 1).
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, then do the following (see Figure 2):
- In the POP Download section, select Enable POP for all mail.
- In the IMAP Access section, select Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
- Follow the steps below for Importing BC email into your non-BC account.
To import your BC email into your non-BC account:
- Go to this Google Support page.
- Select I want to enable POP and scroll down to where you are given a list of email clients and select Other.
You will use these configuration settings for your import (see Figure 3).
- If importing to an email account other than Gmail, search your email application's online help to find importing instructions. Use the configuration settings in Figure 3 above for your import.
- If importing to a Gmail account (non-BC), follow the steps below for Importing into your non-BC Gmail account.
To import your email into a non-BC personal Gmail account:
- Log in to your non-BC personal Gmail account at www.gmail.com.
- On the right side, select the settings icon, then select Settings again (see Figure 1 above).
- Select the Accounts and Import tab.
- In the "Import mail and contacts" section, click Import mail and contacts (see Figure 4).
- A setup wizard will walk you through these steps. When prompted what account you want to import from, enter your email@example.com (see Figure 5).
- On the next screen, do the following (see Figure 6):
- Enter your Secondary Password for your BC email account.
- In Pop username box, enter your firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the Pop server box, type: pop.gmail.com
- For the Port, select 995.
- Make sure to check Use SSL.
- Click Continue.
- Make sure only "Import mail" & "Add label to all imported mail" are selected (see Figure 7), and then click Start import.
- Once the import is complete, you can confirm your settings in the Import section and click Save Changes (see Figure 8).
Your BC email will now be available in your non-BC Gmail account.