The Syllabus Search project began in Fall 2016, and involved the redesign of the eSyllabus program, and the retirement of the syllabus search platform hosted by ITS. The CTE gathered business requirements through interviews with faculty, students, administrators, and other key stakeholders, and evaluated a number of third party syllabus tools. Ultimately, the decision was made to partner with Instructure Professional Services to build a Syllabus Search tool where the majority of faculty were already developing their syllabi- in the Canvas LMS.
“Syllabus Search” is a Canvas tool that provides instructors the opportunity to share course syllabi with students in the BC Canvas community. When an instructor chooses to share their syllabus, it becomes searchable in the “syllabus search” database and allows students to make more informed decisions during the course registration and drop/add periods. An instructor may update or unshare their syllabus at any time.
- Project Director: Cristina Mirshekari, Director of Teaching + Learning Technology, CTE
- Project Manager: Debbie Miller, Senior Project Manager, ITS
- LMS Consultant: Helen Healy, Manager of Learning Technologies, CTE
- ITS Consultants: Brian McLoughlin, Manager of Web Portal Systems, ITS; Christopher Carpenter, Director of Academic Systems, ITS
- Designer: Ramiro Oliva, Senior Applications Developer, ITS
- Developer: Instructure Professional Services