Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Center for Centers

Financial Services Policies and Procedures

center for centers

Expense Reimbursement


Receipts and expense reimbursement form should be submitted to CFC at 10 Stone Ave Room 102. Please ensure that source of funding is clearly indicated.

  • Business expense reimbursement requests should be submitted to the Center for Centers within 1 month of when the expense occurred.
  • An expense reimbursement form (BC Employee Form | Non-BC Employee Form) needs to be completed for each expense purpose. For example, you should not submit an expense for a piece of software in conjunction with expenses for a luncheon meeting. Each luncheon meeting should also be on separate forms.
  • Original receipts must be taped to an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and submitted with expense form.
  • Please submit itemized meal receipts or credit card statements if original receipts do not show form of payment.
  • All names of attendees for luncheon/dinner should be clearly listed on form.
  • All expenses must be submitted within the fiscal year that they occur or you will bear the risk of not being reimbursed (BC’s fiscal year runs from June 1st through May 31st). The deadline to submit expenses for the current fiscal year is May 19, 2017.
  • If you wish to have your reimbursement directly deposited into your bank account please fill out an EFT authorization form and send it to the Accounts Payable Office.
  • Alcohol Reimbursement Policy: No reimbursement for alcohol on campus. Departments must go through BOC to attain the proper permits to protect the University.


Travel Expense Reimbursement


Travel reimbursement form and supporting documentation should be submitted to CFC at 10 Stone Ave Room 102. Please ensure that source of funding is clearly indicated.

Attach the following to the travel expense report:

  • Original receipts for all travel expenses including, airfare, hotel and car rental, and individual expenses exceeding $25.00
  • Original airline boarding passes for all flight segments (not required but recommended)
  • Itemized hotel bills
  • The original conference badge (if applicable)
  • A copy of the rate per day for the area traveled for meals paid on a per diem
  • Foreign travel receipts must be accompanied by a credit card statement showing the converted rate or, if paid in cash, a foreign exchange rate.
  • When using your private automobile for transportation, an accurate record of miles traveled can be obtained through Map Quest.
  • When paying any expenses by credit card, provide paperwork showing payment made - a receipt with credit card number or a copy of the bank card statement.

 Travel Policy





  • All invoices should be submitted to Center for Centers at 10 Stone Ave for payment. Please ensure that a funding source is clearly indicated.


Budget Transfers vs. Journal Entries

All funds must remain within the respective Center’s budget. Center for Centers will process expense transactions (hires, vouchers, reimbursements) for all funds awarded to constituents. In the event of co-sponsorships, the Center for Centers will coordinate with the appropriate departments to facilitate a journal entry to move expenses accordingly. Budget transfers will only be made within budget lines.

In general, the only instance where a budget transfer is made out of a Center’s budget should be in the event of a cost share with a grant where matching funds must be moved to a fund 120 account. 


Procurement through the Center for Centers


Purchases over 5k

All purchases of goods or services over 5k must go through a formal bidding process at least every 3 years. If the item or vendor is unique, a sole source form may be completed in place of the 3 bids.

  • Requests for goods, services, and capital purchases are submitted to CFC using a purchase requisition form
  • CFC will coordinate bidding process with Procurement
  • Please allow 3 to 4 weeks to complete bidding process and creation of purchase order
  • Bidding Policy


Purchasing Card (p-card)

The purchasing card is an efficient method of purchasing approved goods and services under 5k. The p-card (Visa) is used just as you would use a personal credit card and expenses are charged directly to your budget.

  • Submit a request to CFC for new p-cards and cancellation of lost cards


  • Please see p-card user guide for restricted commodities and other policies
  • All original receipts must be retained.
  • If orders are placed over the phone, packing slips of delivered items must be retained.
  • Very important that you tell the customer service representative that you are using a Boston College corporate card and provide them with BC’s tax exempt number ED42-103-545 (also located on the top right hand corner of your card).
  • Each cardholder is responsible for the monthly reconciliation of their p-card account.
  • Statements are accessed online by registering your card at US Bank's website (Organization short name is BC).
  • Verify that only items for which you have receipts and packing slips for have been charged to your account.
  • To request an increase in your p-card line contact CFC. Remember there is a 3 day lag time between the bank and Peoplesoft. Therefore please allow up to 3 days after a p-card line increase to charge your purchases.


gift card policy

Gift certificates and gift cards, such as Visa gift cards or American Express gift cards, regardless of the value, are considered by the IRS as cash equivalents and are subject to tax reporting, tax withholding of both. Therefore, they are not allowed to be purchased on p-card, vouchers or reimbursed expenses unless the exception guidelines are met in the following policy.


Examples of gift cards/certificates that are not allowable can include the following:

  • Anywhere/anytime cash such as Visa, American Express or money-orders
  • Store gift certificates or cards that are redeemable for a large variety of commodities, such as Sears or Amazon gift cards
  • Gift cards or gift certificates to restaurants
  • Gift cards to the Boston College Bookstore
  • Gift cards/certificates are NOT to be purchased for Boston College active employees, including students working in the department, researchers or consultants employed by Boston College.
  • Holiday or other gifts to employees or student employees are not allowed.
  • Gift cards for extra work performed by employees or students who normally work outside of your department are also not allowed
  • A gift card/certificate may be purchased for less than $75 for a non-employee of Boston College, but NOT in lieu of pay. For example, a visiting speaker can be given a $75 gift card/certificate as a “thank you”. The receipt must specify the name of the person and the purpose of the expense.
  • A gift card/certificate may be purchased if it is not for a specific person, but an event. For example, a department may purchase a gift card/certificate for a raffle to raise money for a cause, or as a “thank you” for survey participant winners. The receipt must specify the purpose of the expense.
  • Gift cards/certificates may be used for research participants that are not employees. All amounts must be logged by individual. If one individual receives more than $600 in a year, that information must be reported to the Controller’s Office, who will initiate a Form1099.
  • Gift cards are allowed for graduating students only if they are not a work-study student or employee of the University.