Insights into US Law
two week summer program for non-us law students
Are you interested in:
- Short-term study in the United States at a premier law school?
- Testing your English language skills in the US?
- Obtaining a deeper understanding of US legal education?
- Having access to a top quality library of US Legal materials and assistance in pursuing a research topic?
Prof. Judith McMorrow
about the program
Boston College Law School is pleased to sponsor the Insights into U.S. Law program for non-US law students. Up to 20 students will study at Boston College Law School during the summer months and participate in the program which consists of a series of workshops and seminars on US law taught primarily by BC Law faculty. We anticipate that the seminars will include:
- Overview of the US Legal System (including the common-law features and the adversary system)
- US Case analysis and synthesis
- Precedent and Transparency in US Court decisions
- Introduction to U.S. Constitutional Law
- Introduction to Intellectual Property Issues
- Introduction into the US Administrative State
- Introduction to US Corporate Practice
- Introduction to the US Legal Profession and Legal Ethics
- Studying Law in the US
Students who wish to engage in research while at BC Law School will also have access to the BC Law Library and research support.
Students will also participate in various legal and cultural outings including:
- A delightful “Duck Tour” of Boston
- Walk on the Freedom Trail and visit to Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Harvard Law School
- Visit to a trial court and meeting with judges
- Optional weekend outings such as a Whale Watch in the Boston Harbor, a shopping trip, and a tour of the Kennedy Library.
The program fee of $2250 includes:
- All courses and materials
- 13 nights in Boston College Campus housing (suites with double-occupancy bedrooms and 2 baths)
- “T” train pass for Boston public transportation
- Cultural outings, 7 lunches, opening and closing picnic, continental breakfast and snack items in the group lounge, and a welcome bag.
Note that the fee does not include airfare, visa expenses, insurance, meals other than those listed, weekend entertainment during the time you are in residence at Boston College, incidental expenses or other items not listed.
At this time the deadline for the 2013 Insights program has passed. More information and relevant forms and deadlines for the 2014 program will be posed on this page as they become available. Once the application is posted, interested students are encouraged to apply early to account for the processing time for letters of application for their US visas. Additionally, students from Renmin University, Beijing should apply to the designated person at the law school.
For questions about applying for the 2014 Insights program, please contact Prof. Judith McMorrow, Boston College Law School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to welcoming you to Boston.