Commencement is Monday, May 18, 2020.
No, tickets are not required for the main ceremony or diploma ceremonies in normal weather conditions. In case of severe weather, some diploma ceremonies are held in different locations requiring tickets. Severe weather is to be considered lightning, thunder, high winds, or heavy and continuous rain. Severe weather ticket distribution for Morrissey College of Arts and Sciences undergraduate and Connell School of Nursing undergraduate and graduate ceremonies will take place at cap and gown distribution. Severe weather ticket distribution for the Carroll School of Management undergraduate ceremony will take place in Fulton 315 during cap and gown distribution hours. Carroll School of Management undergraduate students must complete the senior survey prior to picking up severe weather tickets: https://bba-carroll-bc.12twenty.com/Login.
- Each student eligible to graduate will receive:
- E-mail communication about the Commencement Fair
- E-mail communication with cap and gown details
- E-mail with an electronic invitation to send to family and friends
- Students should contact their Dean or the Office of Student Services if they do not receive these mailing.
Please use the following links to download PDF versions of Commencement publications:
- Please check back for Commencement 2019 publications as they become available.
Please note: To view Adobe Acrobat® (PDF) formatted files, download the free Adobe Acrobat file reader.
Please note that these invitations and announcements are not used as tickets and are not required for admission to any Commencement ceremony or activity.
In early spring, each student eligible to graduate will receive access to an electronic invitation that may be personalized and sent to family members and friends. There is no limit to the number of invitations each student may send.
Personalized announcements of graduation are available through the Boston College Bookstore.
To order by phone, please contact CB Graduation Announcements at (800) 433-0296.
To order online, visit www.cbgrad.com.
For additional information, contact the BC Bookstore at (800) 978-0978 or (617) 552-0900.
There is a Mid-Year Baccalaureate Mass and Address in honor of December graduates. The Mass and Address are not a formal graduation ceremony and no diplomas are presented. December 2018 graduates are invited to participate in the University Commencement on May 20, 2019. Students who plan to attend the May Commencement Exercises must notify their dean's office.
The majority of parents arrive on Saturday to take part in both the Sunday and Monday programs and activities.
Since all graduates will depart from Boston College on Monday in late afternoon or early evening, parents should plan to do so, too, unless they wish to extend their stay for personal reasons.
The University residence halls will officially close at 8:00 p.m. on Commencement Day.
To alleviate prolonged delays and heavy traffic congestion after the school diploma ceremonies, we request your cooperation with the following recommendations:
- Please review complete residence hall closing information at www.bc.edu/closing.
- In advance of Commencement, pack and bring or send home items no longer needed, e.g., winter clothing.
- Pack personal belongings and remove all non-BC furniture during Senior Week.
- Bring donation items to BC Clean locations prior to Commencement Day.
- Please be prepared to move immediately after the ceremonies.
- Lower Campus roadways are one way from the entrance at the St. Ignatius Gate to the exit at Reservoir Gate.
- On the day of Commencement, leave your car where it is parked until everything is ready for loading.
- Honor the parking permit card given to you by the Boston College Police. This stipulates a 20-minute time limit for parking outside the residence hall during the loading of personal belongings.
No, we are unable to offer space for private functions because of the many events already taking place on campus. We would suggest, however, that you contact a local restaurant or hotel. Individual school/college diploma ceremonies should be completed by 2:00 p.m.
It is recommended that guests plan their attire based on the weather. The weather in the Boston area in May ranges from extremely hot and humid to very cool and possibly rainy. The campus terrain is quite hilly, so comfortable shoes are highly recommended. Most guests prefer business casual attire.