Financial Aid

There are a number of options when it comes to funding your education. BCSSW offers scholarships to about 85% of accepted students—with no additional application to complete. Boston College’s Office of Student Services assists graduate students in applying for University and federal aid and there are a number of external opportunities as well.

Types of Financial Aid

A number of social work scholarships administered directly by the Boston College School of Social Work are awarded each year. All applicants are considered for scholarship awards during the admission process. No additional application is required for BCSSW scholarships. Award notification will be included with the admission acceptance letter in most cases; however, some awards will be made on a rolling basis.

The funds available vary from year to year with the distribution of federal and agency traineeships, and work-study opportunities. Among other awards available through BCSSW are Presidential Tuition Scholarships and stipends associated with specific field placements, as well as BCSSW graduate assistantships for Final Year students.

Applicants who have completed a Financial Aid application (FAFSA) with the University will receive notice of any University-administered funding assigned to them as early as possible after acceptance. This notice will be forwarded by the University Financial Aid Office in Lyons Hall 120.  

The Office of Student Services administers and awards need-based federal financial aid programs. Please review their Financial Aid website for information and deadlines.

Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor. The Boston College School Code is 002128. FAFSAs are available at the Office of Student Services Financial Aid website or from FAFSA.

Submit the Boston College Graduate Financial Aid Application to the Office of Student Services.

If requested by Student Services, submit a signed copy of your (and your spouse's, if married and filed separately) most recent Federal Income Tax Return.

Upon receipt of these documents and the School of Social Work's notification of the applicant's acceptance, Student Services will review the application and notify the student regarding eligibility.

For information on financial aid terms and conditions, disbursement, loan repayment, continued eligibility for aid programs, and rights and responsibilities, contact:

Boston College Office of Student Services
140 Commonwealth Avenue, Lyons Hall
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467


The Boston College School of Social Work has compiled an exclusive listing of scholarships to aid our students with their search for additional funding. The most recent information is stored in a password-protected online scholarship database (BC username and password required).  


Associated Grantmakers and Giving New England
A library of listings and resource material regarding state, government, and private grants, scholarships, and fellowships.

Associated Grantmakers and Giving New England
55 Court Street, Suite 520 • Boston, MA 02108
617-426-2606 •

Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) provides a full listing of all Federal programs available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; Territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi- public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals.


Check with Boston College Office of Student Services (617-552-3300) or your employer's personnel office to determine eligibility. Early intervention services or services for high risk children from low income communities may be applicable.


The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) unites underserved communities with thousands of dedicated clinicians. The NHSC provides a Loan Repayment Program to fully trained providers with qualified educational loans (maximum $25,000) if they choose to serve at an eligible site. Applicants must agree to provide primary care services in a priority health professional shortage area for a minimum of two years. Clinical Social Workers are possible candidates for the program.

National Health Service Corps


Resources on loan repayment options from the National Association of Social Workers - Massachusetts.


AmeriCorps, the domestic Peace Corps, engages more than 40,000 Americans in intensive, results-driven service each year. Most AmeriCorps members are selected by and serve with local and national organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, the American Red Cross, and Boys and Girls Clubs. Others serve in AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) and AmeriCorps NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps). After their term of service, AmeriCorps members receive education awards to help finance college or pay back student loans.

TTY: 202-606-3472


Teach for America places members in schools where they are often eligible for loan deferral or forbearance.

Teach for America

Financial Aid FAQs