Eligibility Factors

Students who demonstrate financial need will qualify for financial aid provided they meet certain eligibility requirements below. These requirements include full-time enrollment in a degree program, satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, and eligible citizen status. Students with demonstrated financial need who live off-campus, while still eligible for financial aid, may see a reduction in their financial aid award as a result of a lower cost of attendance. A student with demonstrated financial need who studies abroad will receive more or less financial aid depending on the program's administering sponsor.

Demonstrated financial need is the difference between the cost of attendance and the expected family contribution.


Federal regulations (Sections 668.16(e).668.32(f) and 668.34) require that schools monitor the academic progress of each applicant for federal financial assistance and that the school certify that the applicant is making satisfactory academic progress toward earning his/her degree. This determination of progress must be made at least once a year and before the financial aid office disburses any federal aid funds for the subsequent semester. At Boston College, students are reviewed annually, at the end of each spring semester, for compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

Students who are aware of learning or other disabilities should immediately contact the Disability Services Office so that appropriate accommodations can be made. A student with a documented disability and functional limitations is still held to the same academic expectations as other students. If the student is registered with the Disability Services Office and receiving appropriate accommodations, the student should be able to maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility purposes.

Pursuant to Federal regulations, the following constitutes Boston College’s Financial Aid policy on satisfactory academic progress for undergraduate students.


The Office of Student Services gives full financial aid consideration to United States citizens and eligible non-citizens. Eligible non-citizens are:

  • Permanent U.S. residents
  • Holder of an Arrival Departure Record (I-94) for anyone of the following designations:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Parolee
    • Victim of Human Trafficking

Eligible non-citizens must provide documentation of permanent residency or citizenship status. Acceptable forms of documentation include:

  • Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) with a temporary I-551 stamp that has not expired
  • Conditional Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551C)
  • T-Visa (T-1, T-2, T-3, etc)


Students are eligible to receive financial aid if they live off campus. The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) remains the same for the academic year, and aid is adjusted according to the standard off-campus housing Cost of Attendance. The Cost of Attendance is based on a nine-month academic year, so the Summer months are the student's responsibility.

Living off campus impacts the awarding of financial aid in that the total Cost of Attendance is lower for a student living off campus. As a result, many students and families experience a decrease in the amount of financial aid awarded in the year the student spends off campus.

For more information, visit the resources on the Financial Aid Forms web page.

  • Students studying abroad can use financial aid for their study-abroad semester or year.
  • If you study abroad through a BC-sponsored program, you will be considered for all of the same need-based grants and loans you would be considered for if you were studying at BC.
  • If you study abroad through an external (non-BC) or affiliate program, you will be considered for need-based federal and state aid. Students studying through these programs are not eligible for BC grant funding.
  • If you are studying through an external or affiliate program, you will need to complete a Consortium Agreement.
  • To learn more, visit the resources on the Financial Aid Forms web page.

Boston College is committed to providing information in a manner that is accessible to all. If you are in need of a printed copy of the material presented on this web page, please contact the Office of Student Services.