How can we help you?

topic match your criteria

Campus and Boston Transportation
<h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">Is there transportation on campus, such as a bus or subway?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>There are two main&nbsp;<a href="">BC Shuttle</a>&nbsp;routes to facilitate transportation around and between campuses.&nbsp;<a href="">The B Line of the MBTA's Green Line</a>&nbsp;makes its final stop at the foot of the University.<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">Whom do I contact if I have a question regarding the BC Shuttle Bus?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Please visit the&nbsp;<a href="">BC Shuttle web site</a>&nbsp;for all information.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How long is the trip from the Boston College campus to the city of Boston?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>By car, it takes about 15–25 minutes to travel from Boston College to Kenmore Square. This depends very highly upon the traffic and time of day.<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">The MBTA also provides access to and from BC via its Green Line:<br> </span></h3> <ul> <li><a href="">The B Line</a>&nbsp;makes 19 stops on its way to Kenmore Square. This can take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes, also depending on the time of day.</li> <li>Alternatively, you can also catch the&nbsp;<a href="">C Line</a>&nbsp;in Cleveland Circle, which makes 13 stops along scenic, tree-lined Beacon Street before reaching Kenmore Square.</li> <li>Faster still is the&nbsp;<a href="">D Line</a>, which you can pick up in Cleveland Circle as well. It makes only 6 stops to the same location, usually taking 20 minutes or less.<br> <br> Finally, the campus is near various&nbsp;<a href="">MBTA bus routes</a>. The buses can bring you to other parts of the Boston Metro area, such as&nbsp;<a href="">Harvard Square</a>.</li> </ul>
<p>Learn how to get around on campus and beyond by utilizing the free BC shuttle buses, public transportation, and parking facilities when necessary.&nbsp;</p>
Dining On Campus
<p>Dining halls on campus play an active role in campus life.&nbsp; The majority of students living at Boston College are required to be on the mandatory meal plan.&nbsp; Many students living in apartments on and off campus will purchase a flex plan. All dining facilities are managed by Dining Services.&nbsp; More information regarding meal plans, dining halls, and other services can be found on the <a adhocenable="false" href="">Dining Services website</a>.</p> <p><strong>Where are the dining halls and when are they open?</strong></p> <p>Hall <a adhocenable="false" href="">locations</a> and <a adhocenable="false" href="">hours</a> can be found be found on the dining website.&nbsp;<br> </p> <p><strong>Are meal plans mandatory?</strong></p> <p>All residents of traditional and suite style halls, which do not have full kitchens, are enrolled in the Mandatory Meal Plan.&nbsp; These halls include: Newton Campus, Upper Campus, College Road, Greycliff Hall, Sixty-Six Commonwealth Ave., Walsh Hall, Vanderslice Hall, Ninety St. Thomas More Rd., and Stayer Hall. A full list of housing room and board rates are available <a adhocenable="false" href="">here</a>.</p> <p><strong>How do the meal plans at Boston College work?</strong></p> <p>The meal plans at Boston College operates on a declining balance system, with each student's BC ID serving as the debit card. For more information on meal plans, please click <a adhocenable="false" href="">here</a>.</p> <p><strong>Will the Boston College mandatory meal plan last me the semester?</strong></p> <p>The mandatory meal plan is based on the average student consumption. While this plan meets many students' needs, BC Dining also offers a Maroon Upgrade and a Gold Upgrade that can add more spending power and flexibility to individual meal plans. Learn more about upgrades <a adhocenable="false" href="">here</a>.</p> <p><strong>What if my meal plan runs out before the end of the semester?</strong></p> <p>You may purchase a Maroon Upgrade, Gold upgrade, or deposit additional funds to one of our optional Eagle-One accounts. Meal plan upgrades and deposits to your Flex Plan can be made at any time during the year through AGORA.&nbsp;</p> <p><strong>Can I bring a guest to a meal?</strong></p> <p>Yes! Guest meals may be paid for with your mandatory Residential Meal Plan funds or any of your Eagle-One accounts as long as you accompany your guests. Your guests may also pay with cash or credit card. Your BC ID card and the accounts on it are for your use only; no one may use another person's ID card, unless accompanied by that person.</p> <p><strong>Can the dining hall account for my particular dietary needs?</strong></p> <p>BC Dining is committed to ensuring access to balanced, nutritious, and delicious meals. Whether you are an omnivore or are vegan/vegetarian, we have a variety of food options in our campus eateries that include local, sustainable foods. We also provide services to help you meet your nutritional needs, including nutritional counseling and meal accommodations for students with food allergies, celiac disease, or other medical nutritional needs. BC Dining also provides online menus, which can be used to filter for allergens and find nutritional information.&nbsp; More information can be found on the <a adhocenable="false" href="">dining services website</a>.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Learn more about dining locations and hours as well as how to work with your meal plan.</p>
General Housing Questions
<h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">I have a condition that requires specific housing accommodations. How do I make that request?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p><b></b>Students with a medical condition, psychological or physical disability must register with the&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Boston College Disability Services Office</a>&nbsp;to be considered for a housing accommodation.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How does the Room Selection Process work?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Learn about&nbsp;<a href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/housing-assignments.html" adhocenable="false">Housing Assignments &amp; Room Selection</a>.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What types of Living &amp; Learning Communities are available?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>We offer seven distinctive&nbsp;<a href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/programs/living-learning-communities.html" adhocenable="false">Living &amp; Learning Communities</a>.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I set up my on-campus address?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Detailed instructions&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/bc-residence-halls/mailing-package-delivery.html" adhocenable="false">Residence Hall Mailing Information</a>&nbsp;page.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">I think I want to do a room change. What do I do?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>If you wish to change your room, please read our information on&nbsp;<a title="room changes" href="" adhocenable="false">changing rooms</a>.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">I am going to take a leave of absence from housing. What do I do?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p><b></b>Please visit <a adhocenable="false" href="">Housing Concerns</a>&nbsp;for detailed information on taking a leave of absence from housing.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How can I find out if I have three or four years of housing?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>The information is available on the&nbsp;<a title="Agora" href="">Agora Portal</a>. Log on to the portal, click on &quot;My Reslife,&quot; then &quot;Web Forms,&quot; and finally &quot;Assignment History.&quot;</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">I want to appeal for an additional semester or year of on-campus housing.&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Please visit&nbsp;<a href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/community-expectations/roommate-concerns.html#housing_appeals" adhocenable="false">Housing Appeals</a>&nbsp;for information on the housing appeal process.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I find off-campus housing?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Visit our&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Off-Campus Housing web site</a>&nbsp;for a complete guide to securing off-campus housing.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do disciplinary sanctions affect my housing?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Any student who has been sanctioned to an administrative assignment will not be able to participate in the room selection process, but will maintain their eligibility to live on campus. Their housing assignment will be determined by the Office of Residential Life over the summer months.&nbsp; Students sanctioned to an administrative placement are not eligible to submit a room change request. Students suspended/dismissed from the University or housing are ineligible to participate in the room selection process.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I reserve a lounge in one of the residence halls?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Student group lounge requests need to be approved by the Resident Director of the community. Please allow adequate time for your request to be reviewed before the day of your event. The Resident Director will notify you if you have been approved to use one of the lounges, along with any additional information or policies about use of the lounge. If you want to reserve a reflection room, please contact Campus Ministry. If you are not a student group and would like to inquire about reserving lounge space, you can call 617-552-4824.</p>
<p>Everything you need to know about housing, including details on the room selection process, receiving on-campus mail, and reserving a lounge for your next study group.</p>
Interested in Becoming an RA?
<h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What are the financial benefits of being an RA?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>RAs are compensated for their work with free room and board.<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I apply to be an RA?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Applications are available online in the Fall semester, usually at the beginning of December. The selection process has two parts, a group interview and an individual interview, both ocurring in the beginning of the Spring semester.&nbsp;<br> </p>
<p>Resident Assistants receive free room and board and develop important leadership skills while supporting undergraduate students at the University.&nbsp;</p>
Life in the Halls
<p><span class="btn btn-default btn-maroon">R<a adhocenable="false" href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/bc-residence-halls.html">esidence hall photos, maps, and floorplans</a></span></p> <p><a adhocenable="false" href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/bc-residence-halls/room-and-board-rates.html"><span class="btn btn-default btn-maroon">Room and board rates</span></a></p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I submit a work order?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Work Orders need to be submitted online through&nbsp;<a title="Agora"></a><a href="">Agora Portal</a>. They are listed under &quot;My Services&quot; tab and &quot;Facilities Work Request.&quot;<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What do I do if a washing machine or dryer breaks in the laundry room?&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Please fill out the <a adhocenable="false" href="">work order form</a>.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I recycle in the residence halls?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Please visit&nbsp;<a adhocenable="false" href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/bc-residence-halls/facilities-furnishings.html#recycling">Recycling&nbsp;in the Halls</a>&nbsp;for detailed information.&nbsp;</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">Do the residence halls have wireless Internet access?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Wireless Internet access is available in all residence halls.&nbsp; To learn how to activate your laptop on Boston College network please visit&nbsp;<a href="">About Wireless Access</a>.<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">Can I have a candle in my room?&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>No. Candles are prohibited on campus. For a complete list of prohibited items please review Residential Life's&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Safety and Security Policies</a>.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What kinds of animals can I keep in my room?&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Students may keep tropical fish in tanks no larger than 20 gallons. No other animals are allowed within the residence halls. Service animals and animals required for a medical need must be approved by Residential Life and Disability Services prior to being allowed in the residence halls.&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Please review our Animal Policy for details</a>. Failure to comply with this policy will result in the immediate removal of the pet from the hall and a minimum $50.00 cleaning charge.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What are the &quot;Conditions for Residency&quot; that I should know about?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>The Conditions for Residency are policies set by University regarding the administrative and safety issues of living in a residence hall. Please read&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Conditions for Residency</a>&nbsp;to answer most of your other questions regarding life in the halls.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I appeal a fine I received from Residential Life?</span></h3> <p><b>&nbsp;</b>Please visit&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">My Reslife</a>&nbsp;to appeal a fine or charge you received. Please note: This form is only for charges received from the Office of Residential Life.</p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">I want to hang flyers in the residence halls. What do I have to do?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p><b></b>Please bring your flyers to the Office of Residential Life for approval and distribution. Up to 147 copies can be posted in the residence halls. The entire process can be found on&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Posting Flyers in the Residence Halls</a>&nbsp;page.<b></b><br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I get my door combination or lock changed?</span></h3> <p>All combination or lock change requests must go through that community's Resident Director. The member of the room, suite, or apartment requesting the change will have their student account charged. The Resident Director will put in the request, however, the physical change may take up to 48 hours. Special consideration is given to high-priority needs. The person who makes the request is responsible for contacting all of the members of the suite to inform them of the new combination. The Lock Shop staff will leave a notice on the door when the change is complete. If the lock is being changed, the new keys will be available in the main office to pick up the morning the lock is changed. Each resident must get his or her own replacement key. A BC ID and the old key are required.<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How much does a combination or lock change cost?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>There is a $50 charge to change a suite combination or lock. Once you officially request the change, you may request a fee waiver from your RD. A fee will not be waived if a member of your suite shared the combination with someone not living in the room.<br> </p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What should I do if my BC ID won't allow me into my residence hall?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Please contact the Office of Residential Life at 617-552-3060.</p>
<p>Boston College's 30 residence halls offer a wide variety of floor plans and apartment styles, and provide students with countless opportunities for growth and development.</p>
Security and ID Card
<h3>SECURITY</h3> <p>Boston College residence halls, buildings and facilities are private property. Trespassing and soliciting are prohibited. Boston College Police routinely monitor BC buildings for security purposes.</p> <p><b>When are buildings locked?</b></p> <p>Residence hall exterior doors are locked 24 hours a day. They operate on an electronic card access system and are equipped with mechanisms that secure the door locks upon entering and exiting the residence halls. The doors are alarmed and wired to the Boston College Police Department, enabling the detection of and response to any propped doors.</p> <p><b>Are guests Permitted on Campus?</b></p> <p>Entry into residence halls is restricted to members of the University Community and their guests. Guests of the opposite sex are not permitted to remain overnight. Guests whose stay extends beyond four days must have written authorization from their Residence Director. If another student's room or bed is to be used, the host must acquire that individual's written permission. Students may have up to 2 guests per resident in traditional style rooms and up to 4 guests per resident in suite and apartment style rooms.&nbsp;</p> <p>Members of the University Community are responsible for the actions and conduct of their guests, and for ensuring that visitors know, understand and adhere to University rules and regulations.</p> <p><b>Can I bring my vehicle on to Boston College’s Campus?</b></p> <p>Vehicle entry into the main campus area is restricted and is monitored by security/parking personnel. Please check out <a adhocenable="false" href="">Boston College Transportation and Parking</a> for more information.</p> <p><b>How often are staff checking on safety infrastructure?</b></p> <p>The Boston College Police Department periodically conducts an inspection throughout the campus to identify safety and security concerns such as lighting, emergency &quot;blue light&quot; intercoms and shrubbery in need of repair or attention. A University electrician also routinely conducts a lighting inspection after dark throughout the campus. Any lighting found to be inoperative is repaired or replaced immediately.</p> <h3>ID CARD</h3> <p>Your ID card acts as your key to the residence halls on Boston College’s campus and as such needs to be kept in a safe, secure and accessible place. While we would like for all IDs to work perfectly every single time, sometimes issues can arise, here is a list of common issues and what you should do when they happen.</p> <p><b>What do I do if I lose my ID Card?</b></p> <p>Lost IDs need to be replaced at Student Services in Lyons Hall. Hours can be found on their <a adhocenable="false" href="">website</a>. If you need immediate access to your room or cannot get to Lyons during their business hours, please contact your roommate to let you into your space or get in touch with the RA on duty who can let you into your room.</p> <p><b>What do I do if my card reader flashes red or doesn't do anything when I present my ID card?</b></p> <p>If your ID is flashing red or isn't registering at all, please get in touch with the RA or RD on duty. If they are not available, call BCPD at 617-552-4440.</p>
<p>Learn more about security measures on campus as well as what to do in an instance where your ID isn't working properly.</p>
Summer Housing and Employment
<h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">How do I find out what summer positions are available, and how do I apply?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>Many positions are available in the Summer for BC undergraduate students.&nbsp;<br> <a adhocenable="false" href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/summer-housing.html#summer_employment"><span class="btn btn-default btn-maroon">Summer Employment</span></a></p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">I already have a job planned for the Summer at BC. What type of housing is available on campus during the Summer for student workers, and how do I apply?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p><a href="/content/bc-web/offices/student-affairs/sites/residential-life/living-in-bc-housing/summer-housing.html#housing_options" adhocenable="false">Student Employee Housing</a></p> <h3><span style="font-weight: normal;">What kind of housing is available for students taking classes in the Summer, and how do I apply?&nbsp;</span></h3> <p>If you are taking classes in Summer Session I and Summer Session II, please visit&nbsp;<a href="" adhocenable="false">Summer Session Housing</a>.</p>
<p>Residential Life has a number of housing options available for students, staff, and alumni who will be working on campus over the summer.</p>