Boston College is excited to be hosting its second annual Faculty/Staff Walk Run, renamed the Ever to Excel 5K!
Friday, June 14th, 2019
12:30 - 1:30 PM
1:30 - 3:00 PM
Walk Across Campus Closing Ceremony & Post-Race Celebration
The Ever to Excel 5K is a walk/run event open to all benefits-eligible employees at Boston College. Participants can register on RaceWire as individuals. There is no team portion of this event. After the race, all participants are invited to a post-race celebration in collaboration with the Walk Across Campus closing ceremony. Awards are presented for top finishers (top 3 overall, as well as top 3 male and top 3 females finishers excluding the top 3 overall). A limited number of shirts are provided for participants based on a first come, first serve basis.
This course is flat and fast circling two laps around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir totaling 5 kilometers or 3.1 miles. There will be one to two hydration tables with water and Gatorade set up around the course.
There is no entry fee to participate in the race. Healthy You sponsors the event for all benefits-eligible faculty and staff. Space permitting, race participants can sign up until one hour prior to the race.
Race Organizer Contact Information
Faculty/Staff Fitness and Wellness Coordinator
Ling Beisecker, Kenny Turbush, Hilary De Vries, Sue Lawler, and Bill Murphy
Race Packet Pickup
Monday, June 10: 7 - 11:30 AM and 1:30 - 2:30 PM
Thursday, June 13: 10 - 11:30 AM and 1:30 - 2: 30 PM
Friday, June 14 (RACE DAY): 10 - 12 PM
More times may be announced
Runners must arrive promptly by or before 12:15 PM to line up for the race. Runners agree to start based on estimated time of race completion with the fastest estimated finishing times starting first. All walkers must start after the runners.
RaceWire will provide official timing for all interested participants. Timing starts when the participant crosses the start mat. While the runners will cross over the finishers mat twice, because the course is two laps around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, only the second tap/loop will be recorded as the finishers time.
- All participants must be benefits-eligible faculty and staff.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age on the race date.
- Each participant must register online in order to be officially entered and eligible to run.
- Shirts will be provided on a first come, first serve basis.
- Participants are advised to complete the medical emergency information on the back of their race bibs.
- Participants must wear their assigned race bib in full view on the front of their shirt.
- Due to course restrictions, the Race Organizer reserves the right to limit entries before the closing time (1 hour prior to race).
- Walker Policy: walkers should start behind all runners.
- No participant may start early or take an optional or shortened route.
- Roller skates, skateboards, rollerblades, baby joggers, roller skis, bicycles, pushchairs, or animals are strictly prohibited for participants.
- Everyone must finish the race within 90 minutes.
- Headphones are allowed as long as the participant can still hear directions and is aware of their surrounds, including other participants.
- Participants are not required to mark their gender and this will not impact their eligibility to win a top 3 finisher prize. Subsequently, only the top three male and female identified participants will be awarded prizes.
- The Race Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any participant whose conduct is inappropriate to the spirit of the race.
- Only registered participants may be on the course during the event. Spectators are asked to remain on the sidelines and please do not cut across the course.
- All rules are subject to interpretation by the Race Organizer and Race Committee.
- Participants should not run in groups of three or more abreast, as wide groups become barriers to other runners on the course.
- If someone behind a runner calls out, “on your left,” the runner in front should move to the right to let the participant behind them pass.
- Participants should never stop abruptly on the course (i.e. to drink at a Water Station or to tie their shoelaces, etc.).
- Never throw cups haphazardly to the side, please place them in the nearby trash can.
- After crossing the finish line, please move to the sidelines of the course so other participants can easily finish the course without disruption
- Any dangerous items or “dual use” item that could be considered dangerous, including hammers, saws, sharp objects, etc.
- Flammable liquids, fuels, fireworks, toxic chemicals and explosives
- Unmanned aerial devices, drones, survey balloons, photography mini-copter, or any other flying device
- Selfie sticks and camera mounts/rigs that are not attached directly to the participants’ heads or torso
At the Boston College Ever to Excel 5K, all participants must follow the General Race Rules and conduct themselves in a courteous manner, showing respect for all fellow participants, volunteers, Event Staff, and members of the community. Proper race etiquette is required at all times, including being aware of surroundings, listening to announcements, and following instructions from event officials. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated. While the race will take place off campus, all Boston College rules and regulations will be upheld.