The Spring edition of HEALTHY YOU's Walk Across Campus (WAC) will run from Friday, April 1st through Tuesday, May 31st.
1. Join a Spring WAC team on the Harvard Pilgrim BC Wellness portal.
- If you did not set up a Wellness account on the portal last semester, you will need to do so. You can access instructions by clicking on How to Create a Wellness Account
- If you need assistance, contact Harvard Pilgrim's Living Well Services Monday - Friday, 9 am-5 pm, at 1-877-594-7183 or email LivingWellSupport LivingWellSupport@point32health.org
- You do NOT need to be a Harvard Pilgrim member to set up an account and join a team.
If you already have a Harvard Pilgrim Wellness account from last semester, you still need to log in to your account and select your team for the spring Walk.
2. Once you register for a team, connect the Fitbit you received in the Fall, OR if you are new to the WAC, email Anne.Goroshko@point32health.org and include: your Eagle ID, team name, include that you are new to the WAC and are requesting a Fitbit. We have Fitbit Inspire HR's that you can pick up at 129 Lake Street.
Any technical related questions regarding Fitbits received in the fall must be directed to Fitbit as BC can NOT address warranty/ losses/ order inquiries etc. Fitbit is quite helpful addressing issues and replacements within the warranty. Contact Fitbit support to access their live chat, phone info, and direct messaging.
3. Upon receipt of your Fitbit, follow the set-up directions that come with the unit. You will go to www.Fitbit.com/setup and click on the Download for Windows App.
4. Link your new Fitbit to your WAC team by following directions here:
- How to Connect a Wearable Device focusing on Fitbit (If this is your first Fitbit)
- How to Remove your old Fitbit and connect your new Fitbit (If this is NOT your first Fitbit, as you must remove the prior unit from your account for steps to sync)
5. Lastly, we encourage you to take advantage of the Limeade mobile app if you have not yet. Download directions here.
PLEASE NOTE: We welcome all returning participants and are seeking volunteers to be new Team Leaders. Leaders can assemble a new team or lead an existing team; motivate activities during the WAC; and regularly communicate with team members.
**If you are willing to be a NEW TEAM LEADER of 5-20 participants, please email Anne.Goroshko@point32health.org with your name and Eagle ID prior to Wednesday March 23rd, to receive pertinent details.
Thanks again to the sponsors of the Walk Across Campus: BC Athletics, Campus Recreation, Harvard Pilgrim, Auxiliary Services, and Human Resources.
Boston College’s Walk Across Campus (WAC) is among the most popular of many Healthy You sponsored activities. Over the last several years, the Walk Across Campus challenge has successfully promoted friendly competition while building solid camaraderie amongst peers throughout BC. The WAC has fostered a “community of walkers” year-round, and once the challenge begins the campus fills with scores of walkers getting their steps in whenever they can. The BC campus offers many areas to enjoy taking steps. For instance, when leaving from the 129 Lake Street building, two loops around Chandler Pond equals two miles, as does completing one loop around the reservoir when you leave from the front of the BC Recreation Center.
Boston College's charitable walk campaign marches on this year as we continue to incorporate BC's mission of being "men and women for others" into our health and well-being programming.
Join fellow BC employees in a walk for one of the following great causes! To join a team, please contact a Team Leader listed below. They will assist you with the registration process. All participants will receive a complimentary BC t-shirt, distributed by Team Leaders on the day of the walk. Please note that any registration fees and/or fundraising requirements are to be incurred by participants.
We are still looking for Team Leaders for walks. If you are interested in being the Team Leader, please contact Sue Lawler or call 617-552-3336. Team Leaders function as the point person for their walk, under the team name "Boston College Healthy You team.” In addition to receiving a complimentary BC t-shirt, Team Leaders will also receive a BC baseball cap.
While steps will only be counted towards the WAC competition from charitable walks that fall between October and November or April and May, all participants receive the benefit of getting exercise and walking for a good cause!
Fall Semester 2021 Charitable Walks
Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 9 AM
125 William J. Day Blvd, Boston, MA 02127
Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 9 AM
Waltham Family YMCA
725 Lexington St, Waltham, MA 02452
Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 9 AM
55 Hallet Street, Dorchester, MA 02124
Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 9 AM (or virtually, see site for details)
140 Commonwealth Ave, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 4 PM (or virtually, see site for details)
Franklin Park Zoo
1 Franklin Park Road, Boston, MA 02121
DCR Fort Independence at Castle Island
2010 William J Day Blvd, Boston, MA 02127
Sunday, November 7, 2021 at 9 AM
DCR Artesani Park
1255 Soldiers Field Road, Boston, MA 02135
If you would like to recommend a preferred charitable walk that you do not see here, please email all details of the walk to Sue Lawler for consideration.
AJCU Go Move Walking Challenge
Calling all Boston College faculty and staff! Help your team win the 10th annual Go Move Challenge by recording your minutes of physical activity to determine which Jesuit institution is the most active. With the majority of our Jesuit universities and colleges participating this year, including the AJCU staff, every minute truly counts! New this year, for our 10th anniversary, you will be awarded a 10 day streak badge when you are physically active and track 10 days in a row!
FYI - Last year we finished 4th in the overall field of 24 Jesuit Colleges and Universities! Can we top that this year? Let’s do it!
You can participate individually or make up your own teams.
HOW TO JOIN THE CHALLENGE
- Each year you must register to participate
- Register at www.GoMoveChallenge.org, (even if you participated last year)
- Click the LOG IN / REGISTER button on the top menu bar
- In the REGISTER box, enter your university email address and other required information, then click SUBMIT
- You will receive a confirmation email with your user email and password
HOW TO LOG MINUTES
Starting February 1, visit www.GoMoveChallenge.org
- Click the LOG IN / REGISTER button on the top menu bar
- In the LOG IN box, enter your email address and password
- In the “LOG MY WORKOUT” box, select the type of movement / activity, enter the number of minutes, and select a single date or date range for logging multiple days
- Click LOG IT
- Option to keep track of your activity with pen & paper; download this GMC Tracker
- Keep moving and logging your minutes until Feb. 28th
HOW TO WIN
Once again, there are three ways to win: (1) the university with the most minutes (2) the university with the highest average number of minutes per participant and (3) the region with the most minutes. The winning institutions will be announced on the www.GoMoveChallenge.org website and through our social media sites.
CHALLENGE RULES AND TIPS
- Starts: 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time on February 1, 2022
- Ends: 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time on March 1, 2022 (NOTE: Minutes will not be accepted after the challenge ends.)
- Use the Go Move Challenge social media sites to share photos: FB, Insta, Twitter
- Open the mobile-friendly challenge website from your phone’s browser to enter minutes on the go!
- Read the challenge FAQs at www.GoMoveChallenge.org/FAQ
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By participating in this challenge, you agree to the following:
- I agree to log my minutes honestly, demonstrate good sportsmanship, and have fun!
- I certify that I am a faculty, staff, or board member of a Jesuit university or college.
- I certify that I am in good physical condition and am able to safely participate in the Go Move Challenge. I understand that my involvement in this Challenge as a faculty or staff member of my university shall be construed as a strictly personal, voluntary activity and not part of my faculty or staff member responsibilities or job duties as an employee, agent, or volunteer of the university.
Questions? Email Suzy Kisylia, GoUSF Senior Wellness Program Manager.
Please spread the word to your colleagues to join this fun challenge as a way to stay active and motivated during the winter months!
If you have additional questions you can email Sue Lawler at email@example.com.
Check back for Other Health Events later in the year.
The edHEALTH Walking Challenge 2021 is set to start on June 7th and go through July 4, 2021. Registration for the challenge will open on June 7th. This challenge is sponsored by Harvard Pilgrim Health Care.