For this WAC Boston College is subsidizing a new Inspire 2 Fitbit pedometer for all benefits-eligible employees who sign up AND participate on a fall team. Also, those who wish to upgrade to a Fitbit unit other than an Inspire HR can do so by paying only the difference in cost.
You must follow directions in the sequence below to allow activation of the 'promo code' that will be used to subsidize your Fitbit. **Your 'promo code' will not be activated on the Fitbit site until 2-3 business days AFTER you have joined a WAC team.
1. Join a fall WAC team on the Harvard Pilgrim BC Wellness portal.
- If you did not set up a Wellness account on the portal last semester, you will need to do so. You can access instructions by clicking on How to Create a Wellness Account [bc.edu]
- If you need assistance, contact Harvard Pilgrim's Wellness Services Monday - Friday, 9 am-5 pm, at 1-877-594-7183 or email HPWellness@harvardpilgrim.org.
- You do NOT need to be a Harvard Pilgrim member to set up an account and join a team.
If you already have a Harvard Pilgrim Wellness account from last semester, you still need to log in to your account and select your team for the fall Walk.
2. Once you register for a team, you can order your Fitbit on BC’s Customized Fitbit storefront site 3 business days after you join a team. For example, if you join a team on the Wellness portal on Monday, September 13th, your 'promo code' should be activated for use on the Fitbit site by Thursday, September 16th.
- To access the Fitbit site to order your new device click www.fitbit.com/store/walkacrosscampus2021 [fitbit.com]
- Details for how to enter your Promo Code:
Your 2-part personalized promo code will be comprised of up to 20 characters in total (it can be less, examples below):
- 1st half of promo code: eagle
- 2nd half: <The alpha-numeric portion BEFORE the @ sign, of the same email you used to join the WAC, (OMIT all spaces and special characters)>
So if you signed up with the email Your promo code will be: (remember: no - ! . , / + # ? etc.)
Jane.firstname.lastname@example.org eaglejanesmith (the “ . ” is removed)
email@example.com eaglejsmith1 (“ _ “ removed, but number remains)
BCAlumniAreExcellent@bc.edu eaglebcalumniareexce (only up to the first 15 characters of email, no more than 20 characters total, including <eagle>)
- To support social distancing, we will not be holding onsite distribution times, so all participants must take advantage of the online store front if they wish to receive a new Fitbit unit this semester.
- Your Fitbit will be shipped directly to the address you enter on the Fitbit website.
- Through BC’s customized Fitbit Storefront, you can order your Inspire 2 Fitbit or upgrade to another unit and pay the difference by credit card.
- To receive your unit prior to the start of the challenge, you must join your team by Tuesday 9/21, and then order your unit with the activated promo code by 9/24 to allow time for receipt in the mail.
- Participants who join after 9/21 may still participate, but may need to manually log steps the first several days of the challenge, until receipt of the ordered Fitbit.
- The last day you can order a Fitbit will be Friday 10/8. No units will be distributed on site. Steps should be manually entered while awaiting your new unit.
3. Upon receipt of your Fitbit, follow the set-up directions that come with the unit. You will go to www.Fitbit.com/setup [nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com] and click on the Download for Windows App.
4. Link your new Fitbit to your WAC team by following directions here:
- How to Connect a Wearable Device focusing on Fitbit [bc.edu] (If this is your first Fitbit)
- How to Remove your old Fitbit and connect your new Fitbit [bc.edu] (If this is NOT your first Fitbit, as you must remove the prior unit from your account for steps to sync)
5. Lastly, we encourage you to take advantage of the mobile app if you have not yet. Download directions here [bc.edu].
PLEASE NOTE: We are seeking volunteers to be Team Leaders of new and existing teams. Leaders assemble, or lead an existing team; motivate activities during the WAC; and regularly communicate with team members.
**If you are willing to be a NEW TEAM LEADER of 5-20 participants, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and Eagle ID prior to September 16th.
Thanks again to the sponsors of the Walk Across Campus: BC Athletics, Campus Recreation, Harvard Pilgrim, Auxiliary Services, and Human Resources.
Boston College’s Walk Across Campus (WAC) is among the most popular of many Healthy You sponsored activities. Over the last several years, the Walk Across Campus challenge has successfully promoted friendly competition while building solid camaraderie amongst peers throughout BC. The WAC has fostered a “community of walkers” year-round, and once the challenge begins the campus fills with scores of walkers getting their steps in whenever they can. The BC campus offers many areas to enjoy taking steps. For instance, when leaving from the 129 Lake Street building, two loops around Chandler Pond equals two miles, as does completing one loop around the reservoir when you leave from the front of the BC Recreation Center.
Boston College's charitable walk campaign marches on this year as we continue to incorporate BC's mission of being "men and women for others" into our health and well-being programming.
Join fellow BC employees in a walk for one of the following great causes! To join a team, please contact a Team Leader listed below. They will assist you with the registration process. All participants will receive a complimentary BC t-shirt, distributed by Team Leaders on the day of the walk. Please note that any registration fees and/or fundraising requirements are to be incurred by participants.
We are still looking for Team Leaders for walks. If you are interested in being the Team Leader, please contact Sue Lawler or call 617-552-3336. Team Leaders function as the point person for their walk, under the team name "Boston College Healthy You team.” In addition to receiving a complimentary BC t-shirt, Team Leaders will also receive a BC baseball cap.
While steps will only be counted towards the WAC competition from charitable walks that fall between October and November or April and May, all participants receive the benefit of getting exercise and walking for a good cause!
Walks will be listed as they become available
If you would like to recommend a preferred charitable walk that you do not see here, please email all details of the walk to Sue Lawler for consideration.
Go Move Walking Challenge
Calling all Boston College faculty and staff! Help your team win the ninth annual Go Move Challenge by recording your minutes of movement to determine which Jesuit institution is the most active. Awards go to the university which tracks the most minutes, the university which averages the most number of minutes per participant, and the region with the most minutes.
The challenge can now accommodate grouping into TEAMS! This is a new option that has not been available for this challenge in the past. If you create or join a team, your activity will also be counted for you as an individual participant.
When you log in to gomovechallenge.org you will now see a TEAMS tab at the top; if you click that you will be brought to a participant list and it is a drag and drop process to add people to your team. You must first create a Team Name and whoever does the name creation will automatically be the Team Captain; teams can be 2 - 6 participants.
HOW TO JOIN THE CHALLENGE
- Register at www.GoMoveChallenge.org, even if you participated last year
- Click the "LOG IN / REGISTER" button on the top menu bar
- In the "REGISTER" box, enter your university email address and other required information, including your division or college/school
- Click the "SUBMIT" button when finished
- You will receive a confirmation email with your user email and password
HOW TO LOG MINUTES
Starting February 1, visit www.GoMoveChallenge.org
- Click the “LOG IN / REGISTER” button on the top menu bar
- In the “LOG IN” box, enter your email address and password
- In the “LOG MY WORKOUT” box, select the type of activity, add an activity description, enter the number of minutes, and select a single date or date range for logging multiple days
- Click the “LOG IT” button when finished
Users can delete minutes that were entered in error
CHALLENGE RULES AND TIPS
- Starts: 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time on Monday, February 1, 2021
- Ends: 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on Sunday, February, 28, 2021 (NOTE: Minutes will not be accepted after the challenge ends.)
- Use the Go Move Challenge social media sites to share photos: FB, Insta, Twitter
- Open the mobile-friendly challenge website from your phone’s browser to enter minutes on the go!
- Read the challenge FAQs at www.GoMoveChallenge.org/FAQ
All participants who register for this challenge are eligible to sign up for HBFit, a resource for online fitness classes. This is usually a subscription but all Go Move Challenge participants will have access to this resource free of charge for 6 weeks. This is a great addition to our Campus Rec online resources if you don't want to brave the cold February winds.Check out this resource here to set up an account:
Please spread the word to your colleagues to join this fun challenge as a way to stay active and motivated during the winter months!
If you have additional questions you can email Sue Lawler at email@example.com.
Check back for Other Health Events later in the year.
The edHEALTH Walking Challenge 2021 is set to start on June 7th and go through July 4, 2021. Registration for the challenge will open on June 7th. This challenge is sponsored by Harvard Pilgrim Health Care.