Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Gaelic Athletic Association - Oral History Project

Religion: More Documents

gaa oral history project

Click on the images below for full versions of the documents.

Archbishop Croke The picture and signature of Archbishop Croke of Cashel, on his headed paper. Croke agreed to become one of the three original patrons of the GAA in 1884, alongside Michael Davitt and Charles Stewart Parnell.
© GAA Museum and Archive, Croke Park
Cheque to Edmund Rice Memorial Fund A receipt for the sum of £1721-12-6 donated to the Edmund Ignatius Rice Memorial Fund by the GAA in 1945. The letter accompanying the receipt conveyed the heartfelt appreciation of the brothers and stated that no group had subscribed more generously to the fund than the GAA.
© GAA Museum and Archive, Croke Park
Fr Flanagan at Corrigan Park Fr Edward Flanagan is guest of honour at the GAA Outdoor Week, held at Corrigan Park, Belfast, in 1946. Flanagan was an Irish-born priest who had emigrated to the United States and, in 1917, founded ‘Boys Town’, a special home for destitute children. In the course of this visit to Ireland, Flanagan, an acknowl­edged expert in the field of childcare, criticised the treatment of Irish children in religious-run industrial and reformatory schools.
© GAA Oral History Project
Archbishop Kinane accepting role as Patron A letter from Archbishop Kinane, dated 4th January 1947, accepting the GAA's invitation to become a patron of the Association. Kinane recalls the long-standing connection between the Archbishops of Cashel and Emly and the GAA.
© GAA Museum and Archive, Croke Park
Ad for priesthood in Our Games 1972 An advertisement by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, published on the back of the Our Games Annual from 1972, appealing for men to join them in their work.

 
If you have any material like this, click here.