gambling and the american moral landscape
Quiz: Test Your Gambling Knowledge
(Source: American Gaming Association, www.americangaming.org)
• How many U.S. states have no legalized gaming whatsoever?
• Is the rate of personal bankruptcies positively correlated with the presence of casino gambling?
• By how much has gross gaming revenue (GGR; the total amount wagered minus winnings returned to gamblers) increased in the U.S. every year since 1995?
o $40-60 million
o $200-700 million
o $2-6 billion
• How much was GGR in 2005, the most recent year for which statistics have been compiled?
o $1.1 billion
o $9.5 billion
o $83.7 billion
• How many states have commercial (non-Indian) casinos?
• Of these, how many offer free alcohol to their patrons?
• How many states have Indian casinos?
• Collectively, do commercial or Indian casinos take in more revenue?
• How many states have lotteries?
• Is Internet gambling legal?
• How many Americans feel that casino gambling is acceptable behavior for themselves or others?
• How many U.S. adults are classified as pathological gamblers?
o About 0.5%
o About 1%
o About 2%
• True or false: The average U.S. casino customer earns less at his or her “day job” than an average member of the general population.
• True or false: Retired people are disproportionately represented among American casino customers, compared to the general population.