Federal Financial Aid

The Office of Student Services at Boston College provides the option for students to apply for need-based loans and federal work-study. Students can borrow up to their total calculated cost of attendance (minus any scholarship/assistantship funding they are receiving from STM) through the Stafford Loan Program.

Learn more about these financial aid options here.

Students who wish to be considered for this type of aid must complete and file the following documents with the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall:

  1. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    The FAFSA should be mailed to the federal processor as soon as possible, as it normally takes 4 to 6 weeks for Boston College to receive the processed copy. If you have not yet completed your tax returns, you may estimate the information. The Boston College code is 002128. As a result of filing the FAFSA you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Review your SAR carefully.

  2. 2019-2020 Graduate and Law Students Supplemental Information for Financial Aid
    This form should be completed and returned to the Office of Student Services:

    Boston College Financial Aid Processing Center
    P.O. Box 67486
    Chestnut Hill, MA  02467

Please note that Federal Stafford loans are only available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Federal loans are not available to S.T.L. or S.T.D. degree seeking students.

You should submit your application for federal financial aid as soon as possible. You do not have to wait to be admitted to a degree program to apply for federal financial aid, however notification of your loan package will occur after you receive an admissions decision from STM.

If you receive a scholarship or assistantship, this may affect your federal financial aid. If adjustments are needed your financial aid counselor will notify you.  

The total financial aid awarded to you cannot exceed your cost of attendance, which includes assistantships, fellowships, grants, scholarships, non service stipends, tuition remission and your federal financial aid.  

If you have questions about any adjustments you can contact your Financial Aid Counselor at the Office of Student Services 617-552-3300 or email them at studentservices@bc.edu.