- Hargreaves, A., Boyle, A. & Harris, A. (2014) Uplifting Leadership, San Francisco, Jossey Bass
- Hargreaves, A. & Fullan, M. (2012) Professional Capital: transforming teaching in every school, New York, Teachers College Press.
- Hargreaves, A. & Shirley, D. (2012) The Global Fourth Way: the quest for educational excellence, Thousand Oaks, CA; Corwin Press.
- Hargreaves, A., Lieberman, A., Fullan, M. & Hopkins, D. (Eds.) (2010) Second International Handbook of Educational Change. Dordrecht, Springer.
- Hargreaves, A. & Shirley, D. (2009) The Fourth Way, Thousand Oaks, CA; Corwin Press.
- Hargreaves, A. & Fullan, M. (Eds.) (2008) Change Wars, Bloomington, IN, Solution Tree.
- Hargreaves, A. & Fink, D. (2006) Sustainable Leadership, San Francisco, Jossey-Bass.
- Hargreaves, A. (2003) Teaching in the Knowledge Society: Education in the Age of Insecurity. New York: Teachers' College Press and Buckingham: Open University Press.
Recent Research Grants
- WISE Foundation, Professional Collaboration: An Illustrated, Researched-Based Typology, $103,000, 2016-2017
- Council of Ontario Directors of Education, Leading From the Middle, $250,000 (with Dennis Shirley), 2015-2017
- Northwest Rural Innovation and Student Engagement (NW RISE) Network, Education NorthWest, USA, $500,000 (with Dennis Shirley), 2013 -2018
- Council of Ontario Directors of Education, Evaluation of “Essential for Some, Good for All” project, $400,000 (with Henry Braun), 2009-2013
- Alberta School Improvement Branch, Review of the Alberta Initiative for School Improvement, $100,000 (with Dennis Shirley and Lori McEwen), 2009
- UK Specialist Schools and Academies Trust/National College for School Leadership: Beyond Expectations – a study of sustainability in four sectors, $400,000 (with Alma Harris), 2006-2009
- 2016 Horace Mann League, Outstanding Friend of Public Education Award
- 2016 International Education Advisor to Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland
- 2016 Education Advisor to Kathleen Wynne, Premier of Ontario
- 2016 Top #10 ranked EduScholar with influence on public education policy debate, Education Week
- 2016-19 AERA, International Relations Committee
- 2016-19 Distinguished Visiting Professor, Hong Kong University
- 2016-19 Professor II, University of Stavanger, Norway
- 2015 Grawmeyer Award in Education for Professional Capital (with Michael Fullan)
- 2015-16 President-Elect of ICSEI (International Congress for School Effectiveness & Improvement)
- 2010 Honorary Doctorate, Uppsala University, Sweden
- 2010 Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA)
- 2010 Contribution to the Field Award, Learning Forward (formerly National Staff Development Council)
- Outstanding Book/Writing Awards from the:
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (2013, 1995)
- International Leadership Association (2013)
- National Staff Development Council (2009)
- American Educational Research Association (2004)
- American Libraries Association (2004)
- Visiting Professorships & Fellowships in USA, Canada, England, Sweden, Hong Kong, Singapore & Japan
Opinion & Social Media
- Huffington Post, Just Imagine Secretary Hargreaves, July 24 (2016)
- Times Educational Supplement, UK,Commentary, The Vanguard and the Guard's Van, Two Approaches to Teacher Professionalism, February 26 (2016)
- Royal Society of Arts, Building a Teacher Powered Education, Lecture to Royal Society of Arts, January (2016)
- Washington Post, The Tower of Pisa is Badly Leaning (with Pasi Sahlberg), (2015)
- Diane Ravitch Blog, The Success of Schools in Massachusetts Cannot Be Explained by Testing (with Mary Bridget Burns and Shanee Wangia), (2015)
- Washington Post Answer Sheet, What's the real purpose of educational benchmarking? (2014).
- Education Week: K-12 Leaders Look For Answers Outside Schools (2014).
- TEDx Talk "Uplifting Leadership: Uplifting your performance, your people, and yourself" (2013).
- American Public Radio Interview, Measuring Improvement (with Henry Braun, 2013).
- Washington Post Answer Sheet, Six Principles for using data to hold people accountable (2013).
- Huffington Post: The Global Search for Education: School Performance (2013).
Selected Papers and Chapters (since 2012)
- Hargreaves, A. (2016) "The place for professional capital and community", Journal of Professional Capital and Community, Vol. 1: 1.
- Hargreaves, A; Parsley, D. & Cox, E (2015) Designing and Launching Rural School Improvement Networks: Aspirations and Actualities, Peabody Journal of Education, Volume 90, Issue 2, March 2015, pp. 306-321.
- Hargreaves, A & Ainscow, M (2015) The Top and Bottom of Leadership and Change, Phi Delta Kappan, November, pp.42-48.
- Hargreaves, A. & Boyle, A. (2015) Uplifting Leadership: the higher calling of business, sport and education; Educational Leadership, February 2015, Vol. 72 Issue 5, pp. 42-47.
- Fullan, M; Rincon-Gallardo, S. & Hargreaves, A (2015) Professional Capital as Accountability, Education Policy Analysis Archives. Volume 23, February 2015, pp.1-21.
- Hargreaves, A (2015) Autonomy and transparency: two good ideas gone bad in Evers, J (2015) Flip The System, Routledge, pp. 120-133.
- Hargreaves, A (2015) Schooling, teachers and leadership, Chapter 4 of OECD, Improving Schools in Scotland, Paris, OECD, pp 115-144.
- Hargreaves, A. (2014) Building The Professional Capital for Schools to Deliver Successful Change, Chapter 3 of OECD, Improving Schools in Wales, Paris, OECD, pp 64-90
- Hargreaves, A., Morton, B., Braun, H. & Gurn, A. (2014). The Changing Dynamic of Educational Judgment and Decision Making In a Data-Driven World, In Chitpin, S. & Evers, C. (2014) (Eds.) Decision-Making in Educational Leadership: Principle, Policies and Practice, Springer Books.
- Hargreaves, A (2014) Imagine There’s No Rankings, In Reynolds, L. (Ed), Imagine it Better, New York, Heinemann. Pp 8-13
- Hargreaves, A (2014) “Large-Scale Reform in Literacy and Math: Rethinking Strategy in the Light of International Evidence”; Journal of Reading Recovery, Fall, pp 27-35
- Hargreaves, A (2013) “The Day of Judgment”, in Newberry, M., Gallant, A. & Riley, P. (2013), Emotion and School: Understanding how the Hidden Curriculum Influences Relationships, (pp. xv - xx)
- Hargreaves, A (2013). "Professional Capital and the Future of Teaching," in Seddon, T. & Levin, J (Eds). Educators, professionalism and politics, World Yearbook of Education 2013:NY, NY: Routledge. (pp. 290-310)
- Hargreaves, A, & Skerrett, A (2012). "School Leadership for Diversity", Encyclopaedia of Diversity in Education (pp. 1886-1891). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Hargreaves, A, & Skelton, J. S. (2012). "Politics and systems of coaching and mentoring", In Fletcher. S.J. & Mullen. C. A. (Eds.), The Sage Handbook of Mentoring and Coaching in Education (pp. 122-138). CA: SAGE.
- Hargreaves, A., Johnson, C.S. & Kew, K (2012), Education, Education reform and school change, Oxford Bibliographies Online
Selected Keynote Addresses 2015-2016
- Royal Society of Arts, UK
- Teacher Leadership Summit, Washington DC
- Norwegian Queen’s Jubilee Conference on Education
- National Institute of Education, Singapore Hong Kong University
- Sustainable Learning Conference, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Australian Council for Educational Leaders, Sydney
- Arizona K-12 Teacher Leadership Conference
- University of Denver
- Ontario Public School Administrators
- Danish Upper Secondary Schools Conference
- ASCD Annual Conference Distinguished Feature Lecture
- University of Tokyo, Japan
- University of Fukui, Japan
- ULead International Conference, Banff, Alberta
- National Effective Schools Conference, Phoenix
- Rennie Center, Massachusetts, State of the State
- Association of California School Administrators